Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet potato vines?

Posted by Tdel123 4b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 13:27

I tried to grow slip from a sweet potato from the grocery store, nothing comes out. Would this be the same vine people grow in hanging baskets? I would love to grow some for my hanging basket, can anybody help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet potato vines?

I've tried plants from slips the last three years. I haven't seen a bloom. I have got a few small tubers. They have been grown in a large pot in full sun.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 8:36

I have grown slips from sweet potatoes I bought. The plants are, IMHO, just a plain dull green, not the yellow or black ones you get at the nursery. Those you need to buy. Once you have them, some people either keep the tubers or take cuttings in the fall. My neighbour used to take cuttings in the fall and she always had wonderful planters.

o

I guess I will have to buy some.
Thank you that's very helpful information.

o

I find getting sprouts from grocery store sweet potatoes takes a very long tome, (10 weeks?). I think they are treated to prevent sprouting in order to lengthen their shelf life. Despite this, I have had them sprout and grow potatoes. For a good crop, they need lotsa sun and no water. They are not spectacular like the decorative varieties seen in hanging pots; but will grow in large planters as 'fillers'.

o

Place the sweet potatoes in jars of water on a heat mat and cover with spun-bonded polyester row cover. They will begin sprouting in 2-3 weeks.

o

I have had success growing them in the winter in water too, but it has to be kept very warm for them to sprout. Not cold temps or drafts at night in winter. I also start them in Nov/Dec to get sprouts for the spring. It does take a long time to start.

o

Thanks for the sprouting tips folks! I'll move mine to a heated spot right away.

o

Moved my sweet potatoes into a heated plastic "greenhouse", (Princess Auto shelves with a plastic cover) on March 9th. Got my first sprout April 20th, so about 6 weeks for initial success.

o

A few years ago I grew some planted directly in my garden. They were organic sweet potatoes tho which are less likely to be treated so more likely to sprout easily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here