Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev_w

what's up with T & M ?

bev_w
12 years ago

Every year I succumb to the pretty pictures and glowing descriptions on the T&M site/catalogue. This year I noticed an across-the-board increase in prices (by about a dollar per packet) and also an increase in shipping fees (9 bucks!). Then I noticed some fine print at the bottom of the T&M canadian web site: Brecks Ltd db/a ("doing business as") Thompson and Morgan.

GAAAK! Is this new? Another takeover by Brecks? Brecks is a terrible terrible company. Anyone know what's going on? I'll miss ordering from T&M-- I won't do business with Brecks.

Comments (8)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

???Got me. I hadn't noticed that. I agree with you on Breck's. Maybe the watchdog has something to say about that?

Ginny

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

This is what I found on The Garden Watchdog. All of these are owned by Gardens Alive! The only ones I have dealt with are Breck's and Spring Gardens Canada, and one other that is not on this list. Problems with all of them!

Gardens Alive!
    �Gardens Alive!
    �Audubon Workshop
    �Breck's (Canada)
    �Breck's Bulbs
    �Gurney's Seed & Nursery
    �Henry Field's Seed & Nursery
    �Henry Field's Seed & Nursery Co. (Canada)
    �Michigan Bulb
    �mySEASONS Garden Solutions
    �New Holland Bulb Co.
    �Rockwood Gardens
    �Spring Garden Canada
    �Spring Hill Nursery (aka SpringHillNursery.com)
    �Thompson and Morgan (US)
    �Thompson and Morgan Canada

• xaroline
    12 years ago

This is one more reason that we gardeners should save our own seed
    from our own gardens. Or else our gardening and food supply will be controlled by a few large multi national corporations. Many good heirloom varieties are already in danger of being displaced. I would urge every Canadian gardener to join Seeds of Diversity and help save some of the good heirloom varieties.

• User
    12 years ago

I made the horrid mistake getting a catalogue from Rockwood's Gardens when they first opened.....you want junk mail? Rockwood is the place to go. It was hard to find the seed catalogue for junk mail included and I started getting junk mail. It was next to impossible to get off their mailing list. NEVER EVER deal with Rockwoods in my opinion.

As for T&M - must be something new as I've dealt with them successfully over the years. Yes I too noticed the pricing. We'll see how it goes in future.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• thistle
    12 years ago

I ordered from Thomson and Morgan online this Year after noticing they had some seeds on sale I was after..I was most definitely surprised at the small quantity of seeds in the packages,which were not the same as the ones sold commercially.I don't think I will be ordering direct again.

• ianna
    12 years ago

Some tips about dealing with junk mail. Do preventive tactics. For example when subscribing for a catalogue, only use your first name's initial - because then that will be the name appearing on your garden suppliers list of client. Mass marketers prefer using full names. Also, always when subscribing for anything or submitting your names on raffle tickets, include a line that says you are not giving permission to sell your name for marketing purposes. These are just deterents. So far they have worked for me. I have also used my cats names on many catalogues just to see who they sell my name to. However not too many suppliers like t send junk mail to my cat with a strange name.

• maidmarionette
    11 years ago

My fave tactic for junk mail is using that "post paid" envelope they often include... cram ALL the junk they sent into that envelope and mail it back to them.
    At their expense.

:)

• dianne0712
    11 years ago

I have dealt with spring garden and rockwood and henry fields. Never, ever use these companies. They lie, cheat and steal. They do not back the gaurantee. No plants have survived. My credit card has been charged multiple times with no compensation. "specials" were "out of stock"then sent to me at full price later with three quarters of the order dead from sitting in the warehouse.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH