Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Request for Assistance in a Questionable Quest

Posted by cactusmcharris 4 / Interior BC (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 18, 11 at 13:56

Never mind my personal abhorrence of such things (and if I were KOA (King of All) they, of course, would be taxed into oblivion), but where in B.C., does one go, if one feels that a commercial establishment is complicit with fraud? And by go, I mean make a complaint. I would consider it a personal victory for all cactophiles/succulentists everywhere if this sort of practice could be labeled with a warning sign, telling the consumer something like 'this ain't necessarily so'.

I know it's a little nutty (but I've done worse before), but I was given this as a gift - the nice ladies who gave it to me thought I'd love it. Well, I like the plants, but its alluring feature is a flower which is fake. There was nothing stating this on the product.

See the link (with pictures) below.

Thanks for your thoughts. I might be tilting at windmills (but I am in the wind turbine industry, so that's all right, isn't it?), but with no garden in the winter...

Here is a link that might be useful: This is one of my disfavourite things

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Request for Assistance in a Questionable Quest

I personally think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

o

McPeg,

That's good! It's not yet a hillock by a pillock then.

I guess you don't take your C&S as seriously as I do.

o

Sue the (prickly)b.......s!

o

When I am upset by a purchase, mine are usually food involved though.
I would at first contact the store manager, than if not happy you could always write a letter to your editor in your local paper or complain to your local garden writer/journalist.
But don't stop until you feel you have accomplished your goal.

o

I'm not into cacti but I can understand the upset perfectly. I could certainly have been fooled by such ways to market these plants. It's deliberately targetting the folks unfamiliar with cacti. Thanks to this notice, I would now have to look more closely at flowering cacti plants. It's not fair to the newbie..

However I think it's a waste of time for us to complain to the supplier. For as long as people will buy these plants, they will continue this practise. The best route would be for you to educate people about this.

Its like going to a fish shop and buying neon coloured glass fish which turns out to be ordinary fish fed with food laced with neon dyes. Attractive, easy to sell and completely unreal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here