Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis question......

Posted by rosiebee Z5, Canada (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 17, 07 at 14:17

Hello,
I'm wondering what to do about my clematis, it already has leaf buds on it! I don't know what type it is but I was told to chop it back to knee height every spring. Since it already has buds on it should I chop it back now? Is this normal?

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
RosieBee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis question......

Rosie,

I am not a Clematis expert by any means. I do have 9 or more growing in the gardens, but that doesn't really mean anything. :)

I would not cut back any plant such as a clematis at this time of year. Do wait until the spring.

Do you remember who told you to cut it back in the spring? I'm asking because of something which happened to me. I was told to do the same thing, but three years ago I neglected to cut back the one closest to our entrance. It had actually set buds quite early - much earlier than any other. To my surprise, it began blooming in early June with these huge beautiful 8 inch flowers. The name on the tag was Blue Moon, but I discovered that due to patents it was renamed Claire De Lune which is most appropriate.

Because of this experience, I discovered that my Claire De Lune blooms twice - once in June on old wood, and again in late September on new wood. So now I only cut it back after the June flush of flowers. Here's a picture which really doesn't do it justice.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you might want to let it go for a year to find out what kind it is. The folks over at the Clematis Forum are the ones who IDed this one for me as well as a couple of others. The more info you have the better.

But definitely don't cut it back at this time of year. Wait until the spring and you see movement in the growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here