Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
consentida

Jasminum Officinale plants in Montreal

consentida
15 years ago

Hello,

I'd like very much to be able to buy a Jasminum Officinale or Common White Jasmin in Montreal. I have tried to go to the usual garden centers and I haven't been able to find any of the above. A couple of springs ago I bought another jasmin with starlike flowers and glossy leaves, but even though the flowers are very pretty they are not nearly as perfumed as the Jasminum Officinale.

If someone would be able to help me I would be most thankful. I would not mind either to order from a Canadian nursery that would ship it to Montreal.

Thank you!

Comments (24)

• ianna
    15 years ago

I don't know who supplies tropical plants but I have seen these plants in supermarkets or box hardware stores. If you cannot locate any local suppliers, they are easily propagated by semi-green wood cuttings. I take it that you probably know someone who has this plant and perhaps you can request cuttings. If so, get cuttings in summer when the weather is warmer and the day is longer.

• consentida
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Ianna. Thanks a lot for answering so quickly. The specimen I have was bought at Canadian Tire, but I have neve seen the common jasmin I'm looking for. Unfortunately, and I do not know anyone who has one. If I knew , I would have tried to root a cutting.
    Is there somebody out there who could help me? I would gladly share or exchange some of my perennials or houseplants.

• diggy500
    15 years ago

hi consentida
    send me an email
    diggyw@hotmail.com
    thx
    and happy-b-day

• ianna
    15 years ago

Totally by coincidence, I spotted the plant being sold through Richter Herbs which has an online catalogue. Check it out.

Ianna

• consentida
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The catalogue is great and to my surprise, they carry another plant I was looking for but I had not requested yet. Cestrum Nocturnum, which is another type of jasmine plant that blooms at night . The scent is different than the other species I know. Beautiful !
    Thanks a million Ianna.
    Consentida

• ianna
    15 years ago

Glad to help. You got me fired up about my indoor plants now... and I better resist this because I have no more space for a new plant (LOL).

The asian jasmine (jasmine Arabian)is particularly fragrant too & it's flowers open at night as well. You have to try it out.

• consentida
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know! I am in the same predicament: Love plants. Dream of warm, sunny countries where these plants are not just houseplants but vines, covering entire fences or walls and want to bring that into my home to dispell the winter blahs. Unfortunately, I have not too much space either and probably I will have to renounce to others if I want to make room for all these sweet scented speciments.
    Thanks Ianna!

• winnjoe
    15 years ago

You could try floraexotica.ca (more particularly http://www.floraexotica.ca/Flower%20Fragrance.htm which is not obvious from the home page. It is always worth a try to contact Perry and see if he has anything not listed on his website.

• consentida
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Excellent suggestion winnjoe. I looked it up and not seeing the variety i'm looking for, I called Perry and he is going to try to get it for me. Thank you!

• winnjoe
    15 years ago

you're welcome. I'm new to Montreal myself and am looking for suppliers other than Home Depot or Reno. If you find any special secret nurseries or greenhouses let me know! Joe

• consentida
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a few to suggest, depending on the area you live.
    In Ville St-Laurent you would find Pepiniere Jasmin (514-332-2978). another one is Pepiniere Pierrefonds Inc. ( 514-336-8292). In Brossard you would find Brossard Garden Center ( 450-443-2299) and in St-Leonard Pepiniere Piazza & Gentile Inc. ( 514-321-0350).
    Weather permitting, you may want to check the open air markets like : Marché Jean-Talon, Marché Atwater and in the West-Island Marché de l'Ouest.
    Then we have the usual suspects like, Rona; Reno-Depot, Costco, Home-Depot, Canadian tire and Walmart.
    I hope it helps, Joe. Good luck!

• consentida
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Joe,

I have two more nurseries to suggest. Did not checked them out yet, but a grower in the US suggested it for some species I'm looking for not too easy to find in Canada; so, I gather they should be special. Can someone tell us? Here they are:
    Point Claire Nursery - 261 boul. St. Jean - Pointe-Claire, QC phone
    514-695-5110
    Les Grands Jardins de Laval - 2900 boul. Cure-Labelle - Chomedey,
    Laval, QC 450-682-9768
    I hope it helps.

• winnjoe
    15 years ago

Hi consentida - I'll check these out. thanks for the info.
    Joe

• consentida
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all!

I just want to report that I did order and have just received my coveted jasminum officinale from Richter's but in my quest for that humble plant, I totally lost my sanity and now I find myself with 5 additional specimen of jasmine: polianthum, nitidum, nudiflorum, sambac and cestrum nocturnum plus 1 gardenia and I'm waiting to receive a Magadascar jasmine. In addition, I bought 2 bay leaf plants, 1 pommegranate and 8 tuberose bulbs.
    Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to cure this madness? lol. I hope it is not contagious!

Now in a more serious vein I want to thank you all for you suggestions and advice.

Special thanks to you diggy500 for your generous offer and all the research done on my behalf trying to locate a supplier who had the exact cultivar I was looking for.

One of these days I will take pictures of all my new babies and will post them for you to see the progress.

I hope you all have a happy planting long weekend!

• diggy500
    14 years ago

you're very welcome...glad i could help...
    i look forward to seeing the pics...
    as far as the addiction goes....lol...good luck..
    i think we need to form a plant anonymous club..
    i've developed a few myself this winter..lol.
    cheers
    diggy

• socialrover
    9 years ago

Hi,

I wonder if you were able to grow jasmine outdoors in Montreal climate?
    My mother also would like to see these plants around the house, though I am not sure if it is enough frost hardy.

What's your experience?

Thank you

• consentida1
    8 years ago

Sorry I just saw this post!

No! they re hardy to zone 8 or 9 I believe. Definitely they cannot be planted in the ground over the winter. I got mine from Richter's . I keep them outside from mid - May to the mid -October, then I bring them indoors and keep them in the unheated portion of the basement in a semi-dormant state. During winter, they need cool night temperatures below 12 degrees C in order to bloom the next season. It took me a few years to get them to bloom since the plants were quite tiny when I received them and then, when they were mature enough to bloom, I did not have any idea that they needed this cooling period before they did. No matter the effort they give me a lot of pleasure. With a little bit of patience they can be grown even here.

• yellowthumb
    8 years ago

Hi Consentida,

I live at Ottawa, and been looking for this plant for a while. Would you be nice to share a cutting with me? I would be happy to pay the postage. I also have a rare plant which you might like if you like Jasmine. Pearl Orchid, it's blooming all the time and very fragrant. Like Chinese rice flower.

Thanks

YT

• consentida1
    8 years ago

Hi Yellowthumb,

Absolutely!

Of course you can have a cutting. and yes! I would like very much to have a cutting of Pearl Orchid. I have no idea how the plant looks like. I will check it out right away. Would you like to tell me where to send the cutting please? if you can spare the room maybe I can include cuttings from other jasmine specimens I have.

Thanks

• yellowthumb
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The pearl orchid looks beautiful and easy to care for. It's very hard to locate. The fragrance is exactly like Chinese rice flower.

What kind of Jasmine you have? I have a special one as well, this one is very hard to find. The Grand Duke Supreme, if you want, I can spare you a cutting as well.

Please give me your email address, I will send you my address. Here is mine. sdzhangtao@yahoo.com

• consentida1
    8 years ago

Sounds beautiful! I´m all intrigued by your plants and very excited to have one of each.

I have the following:

Jasminum Nitidum ( Star

Jasminum Officinalle Afine ( Poet´s Jasmine)

Jasminum Nudiflorum ( Winter Jasmine ) Yellow and unscented

Jasminum Polianthum (Chinese Jasmine, Winter Jasmine ) White-Rose flowers scented.

Jasminum Sambac . Maid or Orleans

Jasminum Sambac . Belle of India.

II do not have Any of the Grand Duke; so it would be wonderful to be able to add it to my collection.

Thanks a lot!

I will email you right away.

• Feroza Saeed
    6 years ago

Hi, I'm residing in Oakville Ontario & desperate trying to find these jasmine plants I will utterly grateful if anyone would like to share cuttings with me? I will buy them from you & pay for shipping as well. Thanking you in advance,

Feroza

• HU-158879624
    3 years ago

Hi I'm looking for Jasminum Sambac Grand Duke, in Montreal, or to be shipped online.

I'm looking for that exact one, as it reminds me of a beloved person.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company