Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
origami_master

Looking for people interested in trying some seeds

origami_master
13 years ago

Hi everyone. I would like to do a little observational experiment this year, and need your help.

I've been a member here for a few years, and have had the chance to trade seeds and learn from quite a few of the 'older' members here. My garden has been planted from seeds and divisions from members here, all across Canada. Those of you who remember me, I'm doing my undergrad in plant science at the University of Guelph (however this experiment is not school related).

The plant I would like to test is Solanum mammosum, commonly known as the nipplefruit. It is an ornamental nightshade grow for its unique fruits. The reason I'm doing this little experiment, is because I would like more information on it's growth habit (not a lot online) and to see how plausible it is to grow here (ie: is it possible to get ripe fruit, even if it means bringing the plant inside to ripen?). Around the lunar year, Chinese florists will order and sell branches with the fruits attached. $20 a branch (with 4 fruits attached) is the standard retail price (has been for many years now), from what I've seen and heard from some florists. Yes, it is quite a high value cut flower (bouquet accent if you will)! To my knowledge, there is only one grower in Ontario who is experimenting with these, and they were not very successful this year.

I will follow up with a brief outline of what I am trying to do. Should you wish to take part, I will of course, cover the cost of seed and postage.

Comments (16)

• origami_master
    Original Author
    13 years ago

First and foremost, this is not a formal scientific study. There is no chance the results will get published in literature. Whatever information gathered will remain here (online) for anyone who might need it in the future.

What I would like to find out, is primarily how long it takes from seeding to flower to ripe fruit. I would also like to find out how common thorns are (as there seems to be some plants that are spineless and some that are covered in spines), and the rate of plant development (on a monthly or biweekly basis).

Participating in this study, would entail you having to mark down dates, and take monthly (or biweekly) photos of your plant(s). In addition, I will be asking for seeds from your first fully ripe fruit (I don't need all of them) so I can do this again next year and have enough to distribute. Ultimately, I am hoping that we might be able to select after a few years plants that will be capable of setting fruit in our climate (much like how Yvonne selectively saved seeds from her strongest Salvia each year). Granted, I know these sorts of studies and selective seed saving takes many years, if not a lifetime. Rest assure, should you be interested in taking part this year, you are NOT obligated to continue year after year. I will send you the seeds and will start a blog collaborating all the information I get from you for everyone to see (you can opt out of having your pictures on the blog, but I do hope I can have the values you give me up).

If I haven't already scared you off, please reply with your name down here, and email me. I will need you to give me your address. I am looking for people across the country, especially here in Ontario.

• linnseed
    13 years ago

Sounds interesting.I made an arbor for climbing nightshade
    in a shady moist spot and the results were amazing.
    Do you think they would grow in this environment?
    I'll have to post pictures of my creation sometime.

• rosco_p
    13 years ago

Kenny: I would be glad to help you out with your experiment. Always up to a challenge for a fellow gardener.Keep me posted. Ross.

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

Any idea of how big a plant this gets to be or if it needs sun or shade?

• origami_master
    Original Author
    13 years ago

linnseed: this is a tropical nightshade species native to South America, and so will need to be grown in full sun.

Ross, thanks! I'll email you when I have the seeds ready.

swontgirl: it will need full sun. the information I've read says it can grow a maximum of 1.5m The leaves are similar to eggplant leaves.

This is the branch I have. I will be taking seeds out from the fruit once they begin to significantly wrinkle/shrink (they are feeling softer and one is beginning to wrinkle from where it is attached to the stem). The first batch of seed should be ready to go out by the 10th.

{{gwi:520992}}

• wendy_on
    13 years ago

Sent you an email. Please count me in.

• madtripper
    13 years ago

sounds very interesting. I have sent you an email.

• luckynes13
    13 years ago

I would like to give it a try.

• gammage_rogers_com
    13 years ago

I would be very interested in trying out these seeds - how do I go about getting some? Sounds like fun -
    Erica

• kinnika
    13 years ago

This sounds very interesting. I would sure be interested. Will e-mail you.

• User
    13 years ago

I have south facing windows and can grow the plant south facing. I am emailing you my details.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• origami_master
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The first two fruits have been cut apart (see below) and their seeds have been washed and are in the process of drying. A germination test is being done, with 20 seeds from each fruit, sown between moist paper towel and kept warm using a Jiffy heatmat. Expected germination is in 7-14 days. Once there is germination, the seeds will be sent out.

{{gwi:520994}}

• origami_master
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's been about 10 days now, and seeds from two of the fruits have germinated. I will email everyone that has already emailed me tonight. If you are interested in trying, please email me ASAP so I can have your name down and get your seeds out to you.

• cmmwiebe
    13 years ago

I have sent you a PM but wanted to say I would be interested in trying to grow a couple of plants for you.

• User
    13 years ago

I've PM'd you. No message received yet.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• yvonne_moore57_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Very interesting. I am really wanting to be part of this experiment. I live in Saskatchewan, please send seeds. If you send me an email, I can send you my address. Thanks so much, looking forward to the whole thing. Yvonne.