Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay3fer

Seed potatoes - where and when?

jay3fer
16 years ago

Online? In person (in the GTA)? Mail-order?

I don't want to miss the boat this year and have no idea where to get these. Tried at Plant World last spring but they only had two varieties and the guy barely knew what I was talking about...

Will be trying these out in tires again. Tried it last year and despite several dumb "attempts" to kill them, they vined beautifully... but the harvest was somewhat underwhelming. Any hints??? I thought the tires would be fun for the kids, esp if we have the energy to paint them...

Comments (14)

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

I live in Ottawa, and have seen seed potatoes at Canadian Tire, but am not sure of the choices that were available. But I have seen at least half a dozen varieties in the Dominion Seed House catalogue for mail order. They have an online catalogue at www.dominion-seed-house.com and you can order online. A garbage can with holes punched in the sides may give you a better harvest.

• jay3fer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thx! That's very helpful! Mmm... they have purple ones! :-)))

J

• ianna
    16 years ago

I like the idea of reusing tires for this purpose. What method have you tried with the plants? I understand that you need to plant the seed potatoes in a full sun location and as the plant grows past the top of the tire, it's time to put in another tier of tire and add more soil to cover the plant leaving only the top leaves. Do this several times over the season and the plant will eventually produce large quantities of potatoes.

As for choosing your seed potatoes: have you tried looking at potatoes available at your supermarket and have you tried to grow them? Let them sprout eyes and let it develop into new plants.

• jay3fer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have read NOT to use supermarket potatoes even if they are willing to sprout (many are treated so they won't)... apparently seed 'tatoes are certified disease-free and perhaps there are other reasons people can enlighten me about. I want purple ones this year, anyway, which are hard to find in the supermarket!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here are the ones I'm considering!

• ianna
    16 years ago

I certainly see your point on the rarity of the purple potatoes in market places, but as to the average potatoes being treated not to sprout, that would be news to me. Most of the time I've had trouble with potatoes that green up and sprout before I have the chance to cook them.

I've not heard of such recomendations NOT to use supermarket potatoes because I assume you meant that it may carry diseases? (and yet okay for human consumption hmm?? ) Perhaps the reason may be that supermarket potatoes are not treated with anti-fungal or other anti-pest chemicals. Seed potatoes do get coated with such products to better protect them from soil borne disease and pests and so of course are better suited for planting. They also were properly screened prior to packaging.

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

I have considered using the tire method also and would like to know if it is going to work well before trying it. Has anyone else done this with good results?

• shapiro
    16 years ago

Jay: ordering is very simple: www.seedpotatoes.ca
    is the website you want. This is Eagle Creek Seed Potatoes. They have an online catalogue, you order, pay with VISA and check the date you want your potatoes. They will send them for the date you requested. This year, we ordered our usual Banana plus Sangre (red skin) and Bintje (yellow) all are excellent "keepers". Good luck and remember: potato beetles are excellent food for a pondful of goldfish. Just handpick and deliver to the waiting mouths!

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

Do you have a TSC Store nearby? I was in one today and noticed they had seed potatos-about 5 different varities, tho no purple ones. They were sold either by the bagfull or loose by the lb.

• jay3fer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Never heard of TSC. I'm in Toronto - a big abyss as far as their website is concerned. :-(

I was thinking of Eagle Creek but I already have some coming. With only 3 tires on the go in a small urban backyard, I really don't want to overdo it.

For next year, I'll probably go with Eagle Creek because they have 'foursums' of each typing, meaning you can grow a great variety in a small backyard.

I am VERY optimistic about the tires this year, btw. If our new digital camera ever arrives, I'll post pics on my blog. I took some last April when planting, but failed to follow up due to extreme pregnancy. ;-)

Thanks for your responses, folks!

J

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:521294}}

• plantenthusiast_2008
    16 years ago

jay3fer,

I assume since we are having an exceptionally cold Spring with slowly melting snow that I am not too late to give my own suggestion for seed potatoes.

West Coast Seeds offers a lovely variety of Certified Organic seed potatoes; they ship when it is time for you to plant them. They are a very reliable online supplier, and widely used in Canada, especially on the West Coast.

They also include growing instructions on the website.

You might also try Veseys.

I am not sure that I would be inclined to use tires in my garden, especially not painted ones; not if you are planning to eat the potatoes, that is. But that is just me. Potatoes do best planted in rows that are 'hilled' up, in a slightly acidic soil (do not add lime to your potato soil). Plant them where they can receive full sun. Add some compost to your soil to amend it, and your potatoes will thank you.

Best of luck with your potatoes,

-Plantenthusiast_2008

Here is a link that might be useful: West Coast Seeds

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

You can grow potatoes from any regular potatoes that you buy, too. Just cut them into quarters, let dry for a day, then plant. Make sure each piece has an eye.

I collected two large boxes full off the fround at a nearby potato growers, after they were done with the field. They can't sell them because they are green with sunburn, but will make great seed potatoes. I'll can wait until they start to sprout, then cut them up and plant. This is the first year I have done this? Does anyone know any reason why it won't work?

• plantenthusiast_2008
    16 years ago

jay3fer,

I really recommend buying certified seed potatoes; they are meant specifically for planting and have undergone thorough inspections for disease while in crop growth, as well as after harvest. This is different than certified organic, and if you can get that too, then all the better. Potatoes are subject to a number of pests and diseases, so it is really best to buy these, and not the one's that are meant for consumption.

Good luck with your potato search,

-Plantenthusiast_2008

• clairdo2
    15 years ago

I bought red seed potatoes at walmart last year and got a good crop.

• kdawg
    15 years ago

Grew several varieties of fingerling potatoes I got from an organic farmer at a market last year.

All turned out well. The Peruvian Purple ones were gorgeous to look at raw, but I gotta say, I find that most purples are mealy and not as tasty as white or yellow taters.