Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose0lavender

Soil Lax or equivalent

rose0lavender
12 years ago

What is Soil Lax? Is it organic? I read somewhere that it was, but the only articles I'm getting only state that it is "biodegradable".

Basically, I want to know if it is safe to use, if it's okay to use, if it actually works, and if I can grow both vegetables and flowers in the soil that I put on top of the soil I use it on.

From the looks of it my soil is almost like black clay. I tried shoveling it and it stuck to my shovel like... clay :P If I can use Soil Lax or an equivalent to help improve the soil, I would be very happy!

I was looking at the lasagna gardening method. I would love to do the lasagna gardening method, but I have a VERY large yard with most of the area needing to be worked into soft fluffy soil. It�s right now that I wish I lived in a more rural area. I have a serious lack of organic material to work with, specifically green. I mean, I have tons of brown material to work with, but very little green. I could buy it, but it defeats the purpose of reusing what is around you. It would also be more expensive than buying soil Lax or an equivalent. (Mind you, if Soil Lax is some toxic garbage than I will definitely pay to do the lasagna garden).

I would like to start small in some areas with the lasagna garden, but mostly if I can us the soil lax it would be pretty awesome.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Comments (4)

• xaroline
    12 years ago

I had not heard of Soil Lax and do not know anything about it.
    In composting ---if you have mostly brown material---they suggest
    adding blood meal to balance the browns.

Don't know if this helps or not.
    Caroline

• rose0lavender
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought this post was deleted because I never saw it after I posted, thinking it was flagged for promoting a product or something.

Is blood meal safe to use in a vegetable garden?

• ninamarie
    12 years ago

Use the brown material you have and do not worry about green until it is in good supply. Do not incorporate any composting materials into your soil until they are well rotted. If you have no other place to store them, use the compost materials as mulch or top dressing on the garden.
    It sounds as if your soil needs more organic material. Buying products won't help.
    As far as I know, blood meal is safe to use. But fertilizer is like makeup. You want to use the right product in the right place. There is no point in applying lipstick to your eyebrows. So why do you want to use blood meal on your garden?

• ianna
    12 years ago

I agree that these fancy products are just a waste of your money. Here's what you really need to do amend hardpack clay. Just dig in triple mixes. Very simple. Clay actually contains rich nutrients that benefit plants. You just need to make it available to the plants and to do that you, you try to insert compost in the soil. In my garden which was incredibly clayey, I broke up the clay and simply mixed in the compost. This allows for other creatures like earthworms to work in between. Roots from plants will continue breaking up teh soil for you.

I also add bonemeal instead of blood meal. That is just to add more phosphorus but again application depends on what your soil needs. The fears associated with these products are madcow disease- but I understand the records are scant on these. Still as a precaution I use gloves when handling these things.

For the moment, I would recommend triple mix to fix your garden. Triple mixes contain composted manure. Composted manure is for me a great nitrogen source for plants. It's slow release form of nitrogen. To me that's a better approach than a gigantic blast of nitrogen which boosts foliage growth but at the expense of flower or fruit growth.

Read up well on fertilizing before making your choice of amendments. But again, simple compost works best.

If you can make your own compost, even better. I also like the lasagna method when I do get lazy about digging. It breaks up the soil more slowly but it eventually does work.