Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pampas grass

Posted by kstrawson z3Alb (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 29, 07 at 23:45

Has anyone tried growing pampas grass in zones 2 to 4? Two years in a row I've tried and get nothing. Should I be bringing it in in the fall and winter storing it? What is the secret to getting plumes on it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pampas grass

I've never had any luck overwintering Pampas Grass, but then again, I only tried the one time.

Check out the Far North Forum, Sierra has started some from seed. Perhaps she can give you some details how to overwinter it.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Far North Gardening

o
Pampas grass takes time

Pampass is an evergreen grass that takes a long time to produce the plumes. I have one here in Victoria from the previous owner of the garden. It takes drought quite well but it starts in April and the plumes are ready in October. Snow can brake the plumes so gardeners in Vancouver might cut a few plumes for the indoors if a winter outflow is forecast. The plumes are often left for winter interest on this coast. Many gardeners in Victoria cut it a foot from the ground as spring arrives. It gets messy when as an old plant. Freezing the roots will nuke the plant so they are mostly seen at low elevations near the ocean. Deep soil is required to make the plant become tall. Deer resistant.

Cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here