Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to pot those Dahlia bulbs??

Posted by tiffy_z5_6_can 5/6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 22, 09 at 9:25

Boy was I ever lazy last fall!! Most of those Dahlia tubers got in their box for the winter, but some are still hanging around a table in the basement. Miraculously they are still firm and good to go. :O)

I'm just wondering, when do you folks pot them up? I normally just plant them outside but this year would like to sell my excess bulbs growing in pots at my annual plant sale so thought I would pot them up and get them growing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to pot those Dahlia bulbs??

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 24, 09 at 19:44

Hi Tiffy

I thought I had posted to this yesterday, but something must have gone astray.

I usually start my dahlias indoors under florescent lamps in mid March to early April, dependent upon my work schedule. I have them ready to acclimatize in early May, pinch back where needed, and they are well established for planting by late May, early June dependent upon the weather. You could readily follow these dates for your early sales. :) Good luck.

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 24, 09 at 19:50

I found a link in the dahlia section that might be of help, Tiffy. Note the date of posting is early April. The tubers were set out under lights in late March.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/dahlia/msg041343391520.html?77

Here is a link that might be useful: Splitting dahlia tubers in the spring.

o

I start potting mine up mid march also so I have beautiful blooms for June.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here