Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kanuk_gw

Frost dates [Montreal] & trustworthy sources

kanuk
15 years ago

I've been questioning the frost date, in particular the last spring frost date, of May 3rd, 2009 which they give here ...

http://www.thegardenersresource.com/frostzonechartcanada.html

It says it's provided by Environment Canada.

Montreal last spring frost May 3, 2009

Montreal first fall frost October 7, 2009

Without much experience using frost dates my question is that this seems a little early. I'm used to hearing people say they plant during the long weekend in May. Even so the long weekend in May this year is a week earlier[so I understand].

Where do you usually turn to obtain your current frost dates and how accurate do you find the information? Obviously it's a great benefit when planning your seed sowing.

Thanks in advance for your experienced input/advice.

PS. the Farmer's Almanac gives the same frost dates

Comments (10)

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

Hi Kanuk. I have seen our last frost date reported as May 10, as well as May 3rd in some books/magazines. There have been some springs where it's been cool/cold right up until the end of May, you just never know with our unpredictable weather. I just have lots of row cover material handy to throw over anything tender that is hardening off outside, just in case (and even some of that felt blanket stuff if it really drops). I don't put any plants or pots in their final position until Victoria weekend because it's much easier to protect them when they are all more or less in one area. Let's just say I've learned the hard way to be patient!
    Judith

• kanuk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Judith~Thanks for your response. It seems that Victoria Day weekend has become the time when most start planting out no matter what the year's frost date happens to be.
    I think one could find ways of holding seedlings longer in pots rather than taking a chance on losing them all to an unexpected frost. Waltzing around with transplants/seedlings already seems to be the name of the game ...
    I'll be purchasing row covers to keep on hand as you suggest.

Victoria Day falls on Monday, May 18th this year. A little earlier than the May 'two four' weekend. All the best with your gardening!!

• marilenav1
    15 years ago

Hello Kanuk,

Just to clarify the last and first frost dates - this means that after and before this date, the minimum temperature will be above 0'C. This does not necessarily have anything to do with when you should plant perennials, shrubs, or annuals. My experience is that if you are planting tender perennials, you are best to wait until June 1st. Tender perennials include impatiens, coleus, and Caladiums. These plants do not like any cold at all - even 5'C.

I believe that the reason that the tradition of planting on Victoria Day Weekend has to do with having additional time due to the long weekend and not necessarily with temperatures.

• kanuk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Maryv

Your clarification helps to understand that although temperatures may hover above 0'C you must still consider the temperatures required by the plants being planted. Some plants can handle and/or actually prefer lower temperatures than others while others would simply not survive.

Before I started gardening I always thought that the majority of people used the Victoria Day long weekend as an opportunity to get their gardens in due to the additional time before summer really kicks off as well.

Thanks Maryv. Your insight has been very helpful in understanding exactly what annual frost dates actually mean.

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

Sorry, Bruce, I thought you were just referring to tender annuals and perennials. Hardy perennials, shrubs and vines, etc., can be planted here after mid April. I usually get my bareroot roses delivered around then, and they are planted within a couple of days. I have never had any problems.
    Happy gardening to you too!
    Judith

• judith5bmontreal
    15 years ago

Bruce,
    But once you start with the roses, then you must have clematis, and on and on....it's never-ending...and definitely all-consuming!
    Judith (maybe a little neurotic, too:0)

• kanuk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Judith
    I'm not sure if I'm neurotic, nuts or both at this point! lol
    But 'hey' ... I'm having fun and learning a lot thanks to people like you & the many others here at GardenWeb.
    cheers!
    Bruce

• ontnative
    15 years ago

I grew up in Montreal in the 50s-60s and we always considered May 24 as the earliest time to plant out tender annuals such as petunias, impatiens, etc. I agree with another poster who recommended June 1 for warm weather plants such as tomatoes, peppers, corn and the tender annuals. If they have been hardened off (i.e.used to the cold) perennials can be planted in late April or early May. People often suggest buying tender plants before May 24 (for a better selection) but keeping them in a protected spot near the foundation of your house for example. Be prepared to bring them in to your garage for the night if heavy frost is predicted. If you are planting vegetables, then check the web or your plant books to see which ones acually like cool weather. Some that do are peas, spinach, lettuce, radishes and so forth. They can be direct sown in a garden before May 24.

• kanuk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ontnative~Excellent! I'm planning my first real vegetable garden this year and it includes peas, spinach, lettuce and radish amongst other things.
    'Thanks' for adding your comments... it's very good advice that I will certainly use to my benefit.
    cheers!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus