Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solitary Bee Nest

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 13:37

In the last Lee Valley catalogue we rec'd I saw these nests advertised. The thing I'm wondering about is, do you think these nests would attract wasps to? We have a lot of wasps here and I don't need to provide them with homes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solitary Bee Nest

I saw those too, but I think the best way to attract bees is with bee loving plants. We have a small apiary and that's what we do to make them happy. If you have bee plants, the bees will come and pollinate your garden plus you will be helping out the bees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants For Bees

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 8:03

I have a lot of bee plants in my garden already. The favorites seem to be the herb hyssop, anise hyssop & catmint for the pollinators and the lupins and hyssop for the bumble bees. Last year I didn't see quite as many pollinators around so that's why I was thinking of these nests. They get plenty to eat here but they need safe home. I did email the company and they told me that wasps don't go to the nests because they are territorial and already have their own nests. These nests are recommended by the Xerces Society.

o

You did not provide a link to the product you are considering so it is difficult to answer your question.

I suspect you are looking for nesting boxes for solitary bees. It is used for them to lay eggs, which then overwinter. They are basically small narrow tubes. Wasps normally do not use the nests, except that some predatory wasps will lay their eggs into the nest so the larvae can feed on the bee larvae.

the nests are not designed to attract bees - the flowers do that. the nest provides a place for them to produce next years crop of bees.

do some google research for masson bees to get the full story.

Author of GardenMyths.com

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 8:44

I first saw them advertised in the Lee Valley catalogue. They are used to provide safe nesting places for the bees. Here's another link. http://www.xerces.org/pollinator-conservation/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here