Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spektor

Storm and Drainage Ditch Ideas

Spektor
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the Gardenweb & gardening. This is my first post and I'm looking for some ideas.

I live in a small city in the north. My house is positioned part way up a hill. There is a storm/drainage ditch in my front yard which is very steep and difficult for me to mow.

Short of filling the slope side with rocks, I was thinking it might be a great place for some creative gardening. Looking for some suggestions on plats or ideas on what could be done with it..knowing in spring it will be water logged & in summer pretty dry.

Thanks!

Linda

Comments (5)

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Feel free to do all the gardening you like but bear in mind that the ditch is steep sided because the local municipality comes by every 5-10 years with heavy equipment to make sure it stays that way.

Anything you plant or any rocks you add will get removed....

• Spektor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ohh well. To dangerous to mow and I guess city property really. Guess I will just let it go wild and see what happens.

• justanotherider
    10 years ago

There are lots of ground cover plants around, some of which have got to be worth a try. Have a look in Jim Hole's 'What grows Here?', (ISBN 1-894728-02-05) or Lois Hole's ''Perennial Favourites', (ISBN 1-55105-076-5) for some ideas. Their experience is in the Edmonton area, so their advice is about as northern as garden centres get. I've found their writings very practical.

You might also take a walk along local creek banks in the spring for a look at what the native ground covers are, and try something out. You may find an Aboriginal person in your community who could give you advice as well.

• Spektor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Justanotherider, thanks for the great follow up post. There are some good ideas and I will for sure check out the books you suggested as I had not heard of them before.

The snow is starting to melt here so it's a good time to start planning :)

Happy gardening,

Spektor

• justanotherider
    10 years ago

Have fun, and let us know how you make out. :-)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County