Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikomum_gw

Any flowers named Charlotte or Charlie?

mikomum
13 years ago

I bought my 6 year old a Catherine lily last year and now I'm on the hunt for a plant that has Charlotte or Charlie in the name for my other daughter. I don't think creeping Charlie would be quite appropriate! I know there is a creamy'Charlotte' glad and I have had it but I have no place left in our windy yard for anything that needs staking etc.

They both have their own birth tree, planted the year they were born. Catherine's Russian Olive (tree form) is now a beautiful 10 ft tall tree and Charlie's Royalty Flowering crab is finally starting to thrive! I love having them gardening with me and my 6 year old knows more flower types than the average layperson---a fact she loves to show off when we visit greenhouses!

Comments (10)

• canadian_daisy
    13 years ago

The only one that comes to mind is the Charlotte Brownell Sub-Zero rose. If you type it on your search engine you'll get more information. Hope that helps.

BTW I think what you're doing for your daughters is so beautiful and inspiring.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

I've done the same for my grandkids - cosmos and an ornamental grass named Savannah, Simon Fraser Rose, and the daylily Darius. Now i need something named Chase, but haven't found anything yet. :) His big sister and i did plant some miniature daffs calle 'New Baby' in the fall before he was born, but i'll need to find something else for him.

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

Here's an idea if you can't find anything.
    Betty Fretz who runs Floral and Hardy nursery hibrydizes daylilies. She has many people who come to her garden and choose one of her seedlings to name after someone either as a remembrance or for a grandchild etc.They pick the name and Betty registers the daylily with the American Hemerocallis Society with the name they have chosen. You get a piece of the plant to take home. I know you don't live anywhere near Betty but maybe you could do it over the internet or find someone near you who does the same thing, maybe with daylilies or maybe with some other kind of plant. Just a thought. It is very popular around here.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Betty named a daylily in honour of my friend who died a couple of years ago. :) From the two plants she sent to me, i was able to plant two and send two to my friend's husband. Betty is wonderful!

• mikomum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help! Any idea what the cost (approx) would be for the hybridized daylilies from Betty? I tend to have waaaaaaay better luck with lilies than roses!

• mikomum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I went to the Floral and Hardy website and guess what I found!? A Daylily already named Charlie! Thanks so much, I had googled my little heart out with no luck. I can't wait to order it, it's a ruffled lily, pale yellow cream and a green throat---it will look perfect beside my pale pink Catherine!

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

I think it was $50 to name one of Betty's daylily seedlings. But not sure now.
    Just remember Betty sells DAYLILIES. They aren't the same as lilies. True lilies are a bulb that you plant in the ground. Daylilies(Hemerocallis) are rooted perennials that are sold as fans sort of like an iris fan. The fans can each send out one bloom stalk or scape with many buds on it. Each bloom only last one day but when there are many fans with bloom scapes there can be many blooms open at one time.The fans multiply over time until you have a clump. The plants are usually sold as 2 fans. The buds can open over an extended period of time such as 3-6 weeks. Some daylilies even send out a second set of bloom scapes late in the season called reblooming. Up here it all depends on how much warm weather we get. They usually do much better in sun- at least 6 hours for the most blooms and increase of fans.
    Debbie

• mikomum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Debbie, Catherine's Lily is a Daylily, a Catherine Woodbury I believe. I think I have about 25 daylilies and a handful of Asiatic. We do need to stop going on holiday in July as my Mom usually gets to see the best of my daylilies when she's here watering for me! I have pretty good luck with them and my reblooming varieties are often producing when we get our first (early) snowfall.

My two biggest blooms late last August:

{{gwi:522492}}

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

Betty also sells a Sweet Charlotte I see. Glad to meet another gardener who appreciates the great qualities of daylilies! My daughter worked for Betty and although I like spiders and UFos and she likes round forms, I am still glad she can appreciate my hobby and has some knowledge of it. Keep blooming girls!

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz