Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

seeds, propagation, etc..

ianna
17 years ago

Well, I don't know about others in the forum but the itch to start seeds has gotten stronger. I can't wait but so far I am resisting the urges. Can't start too early. But one can imagine. Out of curiousity, what are others here planning to do?

I really would like to get my hands 'dirty'. Has anyone ever tried vermiculture? I heard the worms waste products are very good for the plants. Anyway, everytime I have to throw out kitchen refuse, I'm reminded that these can easily be converted to great soil by these red worms. I'm eager to give it a try. It's high time we should think 'green'.

Ianna

Comments (3)

• jroot
    17 years ago

I agree, Ianna. I am contemplating one of those tumbling composters for my back deck.

• sashaf
    17 years ago

I just bought a tumbling composter yesterday, the regular one is full and of course not going anywhere at the moment. I have a couple of friends who have been doing indoor vermiculture for a year, and last I heard it was working very well.

As for planting early, I've started putting my tomatoes in a full 2 weeks before last frost (which means I'm pretty sure I should be planting seeds any day now...), under a plastic greenhouse tent (from Canadian Tire), and so far it's worked out great; highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Sasha

• ianna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have so many plans I don't know how to approach it yet.

I have a large blank space to landscape.

First things first, get a shed.
    Second, set up the patio. The last time my husband placed the patio stones ourselves. - this time around, I'll hire a landscaper and save our backs in the process.
    Third, fix the 'trench' that leads to a neighbor's drain. I intend to create a shallow pool with a fountain feature. Water that overruns, will spill out to the neighbor's drain. I plan to surround the area with water loving or bog loving plants.
    Next, set up a planter box for my daughter who loves to garden as well. Next, set up the trees and also the trellis. ---- I plan to repaint the shed from a dull grey to something interesting but have no idea yet. I also plan to create a 'greenroof' for the shed. --
    Build a trellis or arbor for the vines.
    And start building the beds for the plants. - and I tend to do it the hard way. digging up soil, removing debris, adding compost and manure - IT GETS PRETTY DIRTY but I have get more joy out of it than a trip down to my beauty salon.
    Build up the sod.

And that's just the backyard. The front yard, with it's very small space would be a bit of a challenge but it also gets the most sunlight. I plan a bit of English garden there. I plan to fill it up with lavenders and many many pastel tone flowers which hopefully will invite wildlife and friendly neighbors.

Ianna

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus