Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Palms trees in Victoria, BC vs snowstorm in Toronto

Posted by Paul_Ont Z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 18:03

I travelled to Victoria, BC and they had palm trees in some gardens as well as public places. I flew back to Toronto in a snowstorm. My big question is how can there be palm trees in places like Victoria, Nanaimo and Vancouver while all of southern Ontario gets temperatures that can be lower than -20C?They also had some flowers in Victoria. What a shocking difference in winter climate. Victoria is more northerly than Toronto. Some say the ocean helps keep the palm trees alive in winter. Why does it not work in places like Halifax, Nova Scotia? Another snowstorm is headed for the east coast while Toronto sits in the cold and gardeners in Victoria look at green grass and the odd palm tree outside. I am green with envy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Palms trees in Victoria, BC vs snowstorm in Toronto

Two major reasons and a slew of minor ones.

1. Both the jet stream and prevailing winds in Canada blow from the west. In BC, that means warm moisture laden air blowing off the relatively warm Pacific.

2. The Cascades and Rockies act to block the worst of the Arctic outflows. The cold air gets channeled down the western slopes of the Rockies before the jet stream takes it east.

Canada's east coast does benefit from the moderating effect of the ocean but with no blocking mountain range, prevailing winds blowing from the west, and the really warm Gulf Stream current well offshore, there is only so much moderating the Atlantic can do.

Now in Western Europe, the Gulf Stream provides a BC like climate at the same latitude.

o
RE: Palms trees in Victoria, BC vs snowstorm in Toronto

I've lived in Vancouver but now live in the southern interior. As much as the west coast can grow palms, I think they look totally out of place. Give me a beautiful Arbutus tree any day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here