Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaro_in_montreal

Oz plants in Canada ?

jaro_in_montreal
15 years ago

Native Australian plants, that is.

Wondering if anyone here may have come across a Canadian nursery for indoor plants, specializing in Oz natives.

Typically, one finds them in California and Florida.

But who knows -- maybe someone up here decided to grow them ?

Thnx

Comments (10)

• sirjess
    15 years ago

All I have is Kangaroo Apple seeds that were harvested in Australia. I have seen very little if any nursery stock with australian native plants.

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Finally, I gave up searching and went straight to the source: ordered seeds for the following Oz plants, direct from a seed supply company in Albany, WA (about 200km south of Perth).

Calothamnus pinifolius
    Calothamnus quadrifidus
    Calothamnus rupestris
    Calothamnus sanguineus
    Beaufortia decussata
    Regelia velutina
    Melaleuca diosmifolia

....so, if everything goes well, I may soon have some interesting plants that nobody else in Canada has :O)

Wish me luck.

• dirtslinger2
    15 years ago

Gardenworks in BC often has at least one variety of Callistemon for sale, outside. Maybe they'll ship- look them up, ask for management I'd think.

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Callistemon is not Calothamnus, but interesting anyway.

Do they have a web site ?

Thnx.

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Jaro: Have you tried your local garden centers? The last time I was at the Garden Gallery here I noticed that they had a new rack of exotic seeds. Hydroponic stores also sell them. You might phone some of the ones in your area to find out if they have what you want. Marg

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, my seeds arrived today, direct from Nindethana Seed company, in Albany, S-W Australia.

I was getting a bit concerned, but in the end Canadian customs let them through without a phyto certificate (quite expensive) -- even though the letter was clearly labeled "Australian native plant seed".

Now the fun begins!

Interesting how the seed size varies, even though all plants are from the same family (Myrtaceae).
    Anyway, looks like I may have LOTS of seedlings to trade & give away.... just need to keep an eye out for opportunities in the Montreal area.

{{gwi:522720}}

• winnjoe
    15 years ago

I presume (having experienced my first winter in Montreal!) that you will grow these in pots and bring them in. What sort of interior conditions do they need?

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Absolutely!
    I presume they need conditions similar to cacti, since they are from S-W Australia -- a desert-like climate.
    Please stay tuned -- I may have more photos soon...

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Incidentally, here's a photo of a Calothamnus quadrifidus that I took in the first week of January this year, in a public garden near San Diego, CA.

{{gwi:522722}}

....they bloom in late spring.

• jaro_in_montreal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Progress has been slow, but steady.

Here's a few photos of my seedlings: Calothamnus quadrifidus and Regelia velutina (two shots each).
    They're only about 2cm high at this stage, but destined for greatness :O)

{{gwi:522724}}

{{gwi:522726}}

{{gwi:522728}}

{{gwi:522730}}

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington