Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cameron_ns

Import Rules

cameron_ns
12 years ago

Hello,

I am eventually hoping to import a large number of plants from overseas (not the US) into Canada. I've done the whole small order/phytosanitary certificate/taxes thing before, but this order will likely be different. I'm planning to bring in about $5k worth of plants, which would arrive in a shipping container. I don't own a nursery, and don't have any kind of business license.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction in terms of information on importation rules/CBSA rules/taxes? Has anyone undertaken a similar venture before?

Thanks,

Cameron.

Comments (12)

• User
    12 years ago

Hi,

I always go to the government source agency for this sort of thing. You actually contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. The link provided is their web page. Start with a simple phone call. If you already know your plant list, origin source (company etc) and as much information as possible - have it handy when you call. They should be able to assist you.

Please note the links in this quote are accessible on the government web page. Start at the link below, have a good read and call them directly. It's this agency that can seize and stop your shipment into Canada so call them. We pay them with our tax dollars to help us.

"Each product is governed by specific import requirements.

The CFIA's Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) is a searchable database on the Agency's website that you can use to view the import requirements that apply to the plant or plant product you want to import.

More information about regulations and policies regarding import requirements is posted on the CFIA website in the form of Plant Protection Policy Directives.

You can also get this information by contacting the CFIA offices by phone at 1-800-442-2342, by postal mail, or by email."

Good luck with this.
    Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Food Inspection Agency

• cameron_ns
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Peggy,

Thanks for the info! I will let you know how everything progresses. I have a feeling this is going to be a long process!

Cameron.

• User
    12 years ago

Cameron,

I'd love to know how this goes. And I'm curious as to what type of plants you are looking to bring in. But that's just me being nosey. Anything to do with plants I'm there!

Best of luck,
    Peggy

• cameron_ns
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Peggy,

I'll be bringing in some hardy subtropicals. I'll share some pics when (if) I eventually order the plants!

Cameron.

• diggy500
    12 years ago

I ordered about 300.00 dollars worth of plants from Thailand last year which ended up being confiscated at the customs office in Vancouver and later destroyed...OUCH..
    I then ordered an import permit for 35.00,good for 3 or 5 years..I reordered the same plants from Thailand and recieved them 2 weeks later.....I strongly recommend the permit way to go for any order that is steep in price..
    good luck..and cheers
    P.S.
    the plants I ordered were..
    ylang ylang
    gustavia gracillima
    perfume flower tree
    chinese flower tree
    yellow plume flower
    and randia...
    Diggy

• cameron_ns
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice, Diggy! I'll look into that!

• ianna
    12 years ago

I know that the plants have to be sent over soilless. Was that your experience Diggy?

• green_thumb_guy
    12 years ago

Cameron,

Have you tried looking for a Canadian source for those plants?

That's a large sum of cash to spend on plants; especially with sending it overseas. I don't imagine that you are just buying them for your own use. With that size of order, you should be able to source a wholesale order.

By looking locally, they have done all the hoop jumping and paid all the import fees, taxes and permits

Just my opinion

• cameron_ns
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ianna, I've imported plants before, and they haven't had to be soilless. I know that isn't always the case in western Canada though. Are you referring to plants coming from the US as "overseas", or do you mean other countries?

Green Thumb Guy, as it is now, I'm practically the only Canadian source for this cultivar of plant!! I would be ordering them wholesale, and I know that compared to Canadian/US prices, I would be getting a good deal.

• green_thumb_guy
    12 years ago

Ahhh, of you are essentially the only source, I understand. I figured that if you were going overseas then you would be getting wholesale there.

What's so special about these plants? I haven't looked them up yet.

• ianna
    12 years ago

I meant overseas - in one case Iknow about it was from the UK. The reason they do so is because they fear soilborne infectious agents.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    12 years ago

I have been reading everyones posts as to how to go about ordering a few plants from outside Canada.
    Could someone basically lay it out for me as this all new to me?
    I have read many nurseries shipping info. And they talk about a Phyto. Cert. which I believe is issued by the exporting country?
    Are there only certain plants that can be shipped?
    Is it difficult to get a permit if needed and how long does it take to have one issued.

diggy 500 What process did you go through to enable a good outcome with your resent purchase.

Thank you for any guidance you can give me.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting