Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

Tetanus and gardening

User
12 years ago

Are you up to date with your tetanus shot/booster? There is a link to a CBC news story last year about the need to be careful in the garden.

I learned years ago that even purchased compost, dirt and peat moss can carry the tetanus disease. Getting scratched by thorny bushes or working with even the smallest of cuts can put you at risk.

Right now I can't remember when I last got my booster but I believe it is this year. Since I can't remember and did not write it down and now have a new doctor I'm going to ask for a booster shot. For a short couple of seconds of discomfort it's a lot more tolerable to getting sick from tetanus.

Are you up to date? Check with your doctor.

Here is a link that might be useful: CBC news - Tetanus risk from gardening

Comments (8)

• LilacIsLove
    12 years ago

Got mine last year after I cut myself with rusty pruning sheers. Not the smartest moment of my life!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm always tossing my gloves off (bad I know). My arms, hands, legs through jeans - get scratched, scraped, bashed. I lose track of the world around me when gardening and get bent on what I'm doing not necessarily how I'm doing it. I've cut myself with pruners, short saws, picked myself countless times. I'm due for my booster shot I think in a couple of years but I might switch it to my 50th b-day so I can remember better - as suggested in the news article.

Let's stay safe while gardening! Speaking of which I must get back to planting seed trays.....

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

this is so opportune
    I am down in Florida, half a year and so garden year round
    Was at a garden club meeting for Bromliads and there was a discussion about this same thing.

One man explained how he had this bit of a cut on his hand, didn't pay it much attention But next day there where red lines three of them going up his arm
    After another day and in the mean time he had tried cleaning, icing and whatever else he and his wife thought to do, but his arm the entire arm had swollen and by the time he was to the hospital with his wife, in 24 hours, the doctor told his wife, he might not survive this. And if he did he could have severe lasting trauma and disability

He now gets a tetanus shot. and suggested we all do so
    I had never heard of this before
    And am myself one who does not wear gloves, nor long sleeves or long pants. Forever have cuts and scratches and my hands right in the dirt.
    I am sure this will never change

But when I return home am going to get my Tetanus shot for sure

Have suggest to my family to do the same
    I thought the shot is only needed every five or ten years.

• wendy2shoes
    12 years ago

My GP left Ontario to go back home to Poland last spring. I was in for my regular check up in May, and she gave me a Tetanus shot (which I did not ask for). I think she was generating as many billings as she could before saying sayonara, but I'm glad she did.
    Between the roses, raspberry canes, and general pruning, my limbs always look like I was dragged through a thorn hedge backwards.
    Everyone should renew their tetanus shots.

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

I get mine every 10 years, no big deal. Like a lot of you, I don't wear gloves, always get scratched by something. There are so many things that could be in the soil that you need to get the shot. It's better than having to deal with the alternative! Marg

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reminder, I looks like I have 5 more years on mine, I'm another who gardens without gloves. Everyone, not just gardeners should keep their tetanus shots up to date.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad we are sharing information/experiences with this. My husband is not a gardener but a woodworker - ample opportunity there for scratches from rust etc. And we live in the country and like to stroll across the property - needless to say there are enough thorny plants along a walk and through thorn bushes that no matter how careful we are something nicks us.

Diane that is an excellent example - one we should all remember and talk about at any given opportunity. Everyone is great about vaccinating their kids but adults sometimes miss out or feel it's no longer important.

This is important.

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

I am soon returning home from Florida, to Ontario

Going to get that tetanus shot not long after my return

Have been cutting back shrubs and gingers etc. reading the yard as much as I can, for my departure

And the garden beds are so terrific this year
    But last week while cutting back a jasmine bush I got this bite

Started itching right away
    I had been bleaching some concrete and had a spray bottle of bleach outside so sprayed the bite with that

An hour or so later it began to swell But didn't pay much attention Went to the pool for an hour or so and it seemed better

Next morning a lot more swelling had occurred The bite was just inside the arm about where it bends. Good spot for a bite .
    Continued to swell and I put the goup from Aloe Vera plants on it several times And went to the pool again Was beginning to worry about it might need an antibiotic As next day again still swelling but there on the forth day when I woke was mostly gone and now today just a
    little mark

There are some nasty things in the gardens down here
    But I shall live.
    Looking forward to getting home.