Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aker_gw

Good source for morning glory seed?

aker
16 years ago

Hi,

Are there any good sources for morning glory seeds in Canada? I was looking for more of the unusual types.Please post any responses on this site :-)

Thank you

Aker

Comments (18)

• ianna
    16 years ago

I suggest Florabunda for heritage types. Any unique ones you are seeking?

• aker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, ianna

I am looking for one called Joyce cobb and blue colored varieties. I have some of the more common ones. I am new to growing morning glories and love the blue shades :-)

Will check out Florabunda and see what they have.

Thank you:-)

Aker

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

Hey Aker, I have a good stock of MG Blues, a mix of heavenly, "swirl", and streaked. If you like how they look, I'll send you some for SASE.
    Wendy
    {{gwi:361817}}
    {{gwi:523279}}

Unfortunately, they are mixed seeds, as they all grew together on an arbour, and I couldn't figure out which pod was from which flower.

Email me if you want some.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

IMHO, who cares which pod they were from?!!!! They are all so gorgeous Wendy!! Any tricks or bits of advice on growing them? I did some a couple of years ago and they did well, but last year they were all duds. :O( Exposure to sun? Soil? I have a mix of them I'd like to try again, some in 1/2 whiskey barrels and some right in the ground.

• aker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Wendy2shoes

Aren't they beauties :-) I would love some. Just tell me where to send my sase. Or would you be interested in a trade for other morning glory seeds?

Thank you

Aker

• sunita_fleuriste
    16 years ago

hi Wendy,

They are gorgeous! May I send an sase too??

Aker I ve got a mix of heavenly blue and crimson rambler if you d like some..

PLMK

S

• wendy2shoes
    16 years ago

Aker..sending you an email..sunita too. Nicole..the only thing I know about mg's is that they need warm soil to germinate (better off direct sowing..they don't like to be moved), hold off on the fertilizer..poor soil is better, and not too much water. Basically treat as a weed.

• jroot
    16 years ago

I saw quite a few different ones at the Stratford Garden Show last month. There may be some at Canada Blooms this week.

• marilenav1
    16 years ago

I don't have a source in Canada for different morning glory seeds but I have purchased many varieties on eBay. There are two vendors that have awesome morning glory seed - one is in the US and the other is in Japan.

Here is the link for one of the vendors I've used on eBay - her name is jmglvr. Her seed is picked from her own plants - it is not commercially purchased seed and most importantly, it germinates very well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning Glory on eBay

• aker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Jroot and Maryv

Will check ou the Ebay link. Is the one from Japan hard to get seeds from? Importing and cost??

Aker

• marilenav1
    16 years ago

Hi Aker,

No it is not difficult to get seeds from Japan. I did not pay for importing seeds from either Japan or the US.

• shapiro
    16 years ago

We grow "Grandpa Ott" - a heritage deep purple variety with a fuschia "star" in the middle. We never have to re-sow because the seeds of this variety survive the winter in Ottawa and simply grow where they fell. Every fall when cutting down the vines, I gather as much seed as possible and give it away to friends and fellow garden club members.

• glaswegian
    16 years ago

Quick question about MGs.....I am planning to plant some in a container on my front porch, to go up a trellis, can I start them in the same container in the basement now, and is it just a matter of sprinkling the seeds on the soil after soaking them for 2days?

wendy2shoes....thx for the seeds you sent me

Here is the front porch

{{gwi:523280}}

Here is the container, but in plastic this time and slightly bigger and deeper

{{gwi:523281}}

• shapiro
    16 years ago

Hi Glaswegian: Nice porch - what way does it face? South, I hope. I have grown MGs in pots for years - you could start some soaked seeds in those JIFFY peat pellets a couple of weeks early - but not too early or you will have a bunch of tangled little plants! We grow ours in whisky barrels right up against a south wall and they grow like crazy! For support, we have those expandable willow pyramid things. Hoping you know what I'm referring to. The container needs to be as big as possible as otherwise your plants will be water-stressed all the time and you will be watering daily and even twice daily in really warm weather. Good luck!

• plantenthusiast_2008
    16 years ago

aker,

You might try many of the online seed companies for morning glory seeds, such as:

Fothergills
    Thompson & Morgan
    Veseys
    Chiltern's
    PlantWorldSeeds
    WestCoastSeeds

and so on, if you haven't already done so.

Good luck in your search, and remember only to plant annual types, which are not invasive!

-Planenthusiast

• wmc1
    16 years ago

That site on ebay is a good one, just bought some, reasonable price. A lot of them are the japanese variety. She is a nice person to deal with (Jmglvr) lots of email from her.

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

I have read that MGlories are light sensitive. They need total darkness at night to set buds. Even a porch light turned on at the wrong time can mean no flowers. I'm planting a lot of them on a few long fences this year. I hope they do well.

• adair_2008
    16 years ago

Where to buy the Grandpa Ott seeds in Ottawa ? They look very nice and it is great to not have to resow...

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville