Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_girl

Experts!

crazy_girl
17 years ago

I have decided that I want to build a garden. I want to have a flower garden and a vegetable garden...I am from Calgary...I dont even know where to begin! I would love some advice and suggestions from you experts :)

When should I start? What do I do!Etc.

=)

Comments (5)

• ianna
    17 years ago

We'd love to help but require more details before proceeding.

Describe your soil quality (clay, loamy, or sandy)
    Future location of garden beds (N, S, E, W), Sunlight amount (shade to full sun?) etc.
    Garden type - colours (what colours do you enjoy the most)

Ianna

• crazy_girl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ianna
    Thanks for your reply my name is Harjot =)
    Ok I believe winter is finally over...notice I said I believe because its Calgary you never know when its going to start snowing again lol. But I am starting to plan stuff right now so I know what I have to do. Cause I have no clue lol. Another problem I have is. My yard is HUGE.(I was going to take some pics its to messy out there so after I cleanup I'll show you) My yard is big and I want it to look beautiful.I have many ideas.
    1) I want to grow a vegetable garden
    2) Have some lots of flowers. Of all colors.( there is available sunlight from all directions)
    This is going to take alot of hard work. My yard is so plain. I moved into this house last year and the owner had mde some flower beds but didnt do any gardening. So this means more work for me haha.I took the main pictures of where I want to focus on. Thats the back of the house. Less than half of it.The backyard is just too big I am gonna to have one heck of a time lol.1st pic this is one of the many flower beds
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/AnGel_PyAr/Picture004.jpg
    In the middle of the backyard http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y100/AnGel_PyAr/Picture003-1.jpg

Look at the flower bed I dont know where to start lol. Will I need to get new soil?
    Feels moist right now the top^was hard and when i dug my finger in it was very moist.

I hope this helps you so you can help me

lol

Takecare

• lin123
    17 years ago

WOW lots of space and potential! Gardening is an ongoing process so I would start by cleaning out and weeding all the existing beds before you make anymore. This summer just try to keep them up with TLC and see if you actually enjoy gardening. If you want a veggie garden choose the spot that recieves the most sunlight during the day and ammend your soil in that area. Sow in a few seeds of each variety following the package direction, lable, water and enjoy! As for those 3 circlular gardens in the middle of your lawn, I'd plant a tall tree, one that will grow over the years and provide shade and privacy. In the remaining 2 circles I'd plant complimenting shrubs. Then around the outer edge of each circle I'd plant some colourful and easy to maintain annuals this summer. Stay small and enjoy!

• robitaillenancy1
    17 years ago

I can't help much with your veggie garden but I do have lots of experience with flowers.

Both gardens need to have excellent soil for excellent production.

Start by digging your garden then adding lots of peat moss and perlite. Perlite will make the soil so water won't clog the plants. Add a small corner for a compost bin. This will make excellent soil for you for the coming years.

I have a very large side yard. I took a community course on landscaping and learned a lot. I made a blue garden with only blue and white flowers for my daughter. Then the shrub-backed perennial gardnen ending with roses to the back and side. Next, using shrubs I created a hidden garden which will become my Japanese garden once I get accessories put in (bridge and bench)

Canadian bred roses are the best because there is no protection needed in autumn. Set yourself up to work less in the garden.

For the background we have evergreen shrubs that are now 6 feet tall. In another area are the perennial shrubs which take turn blooming from early spring on. In June the peonies and roses battle it out to see which will draw the eye quicker than the other.

The Japanese garden features a Japanese maple and some Japanese shrubs related to the willow family that are white for about 6 weeks in spring. These create a lovely background for other plants.

It will take about 3 years for your garden to mature where you have much less work to do. My garden is 6 years old and needs work in spring then some maintainance durng the season and just a bit of work protecting some of the shrubs.

Nancy

• ianna
    17 years ago

Boy this is the type of yard I would be itching to work on... Consider yourself lucky.

You can create 2 or maybe 3 garden 'rooms' and you can do this by situating shrub hedges to delineate one room from the other. One being your flower garden and the other your vegetable garden. You can use boxwood or yews if these are suitable to your zone. Perhaps even a 3rd room which is to your patio or sitting area. Or simply planning pathways to divide one room from another. A vegetable plot looks great if you create wooded raised beds for the area - I encourage you to check out french potager gardens. You can edge it with fruit trees.

You will need to design the area first. (In my opinion those circular garden beds looks rather oddly out of place. If you cannot integrate the design in your plans, I'd suggest getting rid of it altogether and reusing the bricks for other purposes in the yard.

Plot out in a grid form your home against your yard. Look for viewpoints or sightlines. I like the thought of privacy and usually I plant trees to help distract my eyes from the neighbor's yard. For each grid on the paper represents say 1 ft. From that grid, divide your yard. Then invest in the physical work of identifying bed locations, working the soil, planting the key plants. Always don't be in a rush for an instantaneous yard. Go slow and get it right.

You will definitely need to condition the soil. I had a very clay based yard and I worked that yard with peatmoss, compost and manure. What this does is to help break up any claybased soil. What it can also do for a sandy yard is to help absorb water and not letting it drain away fast. With the process I hardly ever have to fertilize. Manure once a year, plus bone meal and compost are excellent for any plants.

Your yard has a slope and perhaps a couple of levels can be worked into your yard.

Take advantage of that full sun condition you have.

Plot your yard against the view from your house. When I place plants, I always look towards where the neighbor's places are, what view I'd like to see and how best to enhance it. When I place flower garden beds, I do so with a bit of winding way so there are no straight paths to any view. This creates an air of mystery and invites the looker to come up closer. You can place garden objects in that yard, like an old urn, a fountain, etc.. I also keep in mind the backdrop. The plantings that surround the bed to help enhance the look of the flower beds. These can be evergreen hedges --- and this is what is termed 'foundation planting'....

You must also keep in mind an all season garden. That is from Spring to Winter, your yard will look excellent.

Okay so now... let your imagination rip and enjoy the process.

Ianna

Sponsored