Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pawsntails

Check out and mabe give some tips on my indoor light setup :)

pawsntails
14 years ago

Hi, guys I am a newbie :)

I am also newer to gardening to, this is my 3rd year of outdoor growing and 1st year of indoor.

I have a little setup in my basement, peppers, flowers, tomatos, cukes. I have little trays and 2 little T5 floresent lites over top of them. I am slowly reading around and getting tips and am sure I will learn by trail and error this year and many other years. I ordered some neat seeds on ebay and am hoping they will grow under my lites.

I wanted to share a couple pics of my little setup to see what others have to say about it and get some tips. But I cant figure out how to post pictures. Anyone let me know how to post pics on here please????

Hope to meet others on here and learn lots of stuff!!!! :)

Comments (6)

• sheryl_ontario
    14 years ago

Welcome pawsntails!
    Here is the thread about posting pictures. It should answer any questions you have.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/pepper/2002072150000611.html

Here is a link that might be useful: My Country DIY Blog

• sheryl_ontario
    14 years ago

Just copy and paste into IE or here is the link to just click on:

Here is a link that might be useful: thread about posting pictures

• ianna
    14 years ago

re the indoor lighting. Just make sure your lights are 4-5 inches above your plants. This keeps them shorter and not so leggy.

• pawsntails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys, My lites are about 5inches about the plants. I only have some seedlings up so far, the rest are just under the lights germinating.

I have bell peppers, jalipinos, hot peppers, tomatos, petunias, pansys, marigolds and cukes. Of course the only thing coming up are the cukes and tomatos which I think I started to early.... but its my first time, so trial and error I will know more next year. I just planted my petunias yesterday so I am a bit late on them, but it took a bit for the seeds to get to me on Ebay.

I hope I have some little guys to plant outside this year :)

Ok I have tried to post the picture again and I cannot find this browse button it said to click to upload from my computer. So i'll just describe about 150 little seeds and some seedlings, 2 T5 floresent bulbs on top of them, I feel I need more bulbs but I cant fit anymore under my little makeshift shelf. There in the basement, sitting on towels and on top of the towels are styrophone type material to keep the seedlings warmer and off the ground. I have my lites on a timer and was told they need 18hrs a day.

So I hope it goes well :)

• ianna
    14 years ago

Exciting isn't it? I just planted my tomatoes, zuchinni, herbs and more. I;m sure I overdid it once again.

If the tomato plants get too leggy (happens when you start early) just replant them into larger containers (I used styrofoam cups from the dollar store- w/ drainage holes added of course) - But replant them up to the first true leaves. The part of the stem that is buried will produce roots, making it an even stronger plant.

Also have a fan set up nearby to blow gentle circulating air on the plants when they have finally germinated. The gentle wind will keep fungus occurence to a low, and produce stronger stems.

BTW - why bother with ebay if you can get seeds via the exchange, and all for the cost of a stamp. Next time over, check them out.

• pawsntails
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ianna I am so excited, my first time, I know I have made many mistakes and planted to early on some things, to late on other things... but im learning! :)

Styrofoam cups sound like a great idea and a cheap way to go! :) How many weeks can they usually stay in the little cells (peet pot type thing)

The fan, thanks for the tip, I have a fan in the garage will bring it in and get it ready for the little guys!

haha I would have done the seed exchange but I bought these seeds of Ebay over 2 weeks ago and didnt even know about this forum then, now I know though! I cant wait to do my first seed exchange!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?