Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recipe for no damp

Posted by claubill z3Sud ONT (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 24, 06 at 7:58

A couple of years ago, I saw a recipe for home-made no-damp solution. I've lost the recipe. Does anybody have such a recipe? I could buy No-damp at the store but it's awfully expensive and we're going to have a lot of seedlings to take care of.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recipe for no damp

Hi Claubill,
I dont' have the recipe. But I find a bottle of no damp goes pretty far because you mix it with water 10ml to 1 Litre water there's 60ml in a bottle you can get 6 litres with the bottle. I just spray it on top of the soil after I plant my seeds and had great success.
Mary-Jane

o

I sprinkle a bit of cinnamon over the surface of my soil. It has antifungal properties and seems to work for me. I haven't had damping off in years.

BP

o

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 25, 06 at 10:01

Watering or misting with strong chamomile tea might be the idea you were looking for.

o

A number of years back, I invested in a small fan 8-10"at a garage sale, Haven't seen damp off since. The circulating air seems to keep any (spores?) away. Rai

o

There are a few things you can do, Cinnamon can be useful, so can sulfur. However, they both work best as a seed treatment. The key is to apply your amendments as closely to the time of planting as possible. Damping off fungi are stimulated to life by the germinating seed. Adding a rich microbial community to the soil environment is by far the best preventative against damping off. Sulfur's saftey is currently in debate by the agricultural researchers, according to my sources anyway. A good quality microbial amendement may be available at a specialty gardening centre. The one i like to use is tarantula.

Here is a link that might be useful: tarantula

o

• Posted by
    jimmy-jojo Zone 5b
    (gw:jimmy-jojo) on
    Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 12:23

I read in the Rodale Book of Composting using finished compost and compost tea to soak the seed flat will stop "damping-off". But I haven't tried it yet.

o

If you ever find that recipe, I'd love to know.

o

I just use chamomile tea. Works for me, nice and cheap too.

o

I know this is a couple months late, but I just wanted to put my vote in for chamomile tea as well.
I've been using it for a few years with no problems.

o

I used hydrogen peroxide and water about 1 tbsp to 1 cup and didn't have any damp off.

o

Nice to know there are so many economical and natural things to use to prevent damping off. That Damp Off stuff smells aweful.

o

from what ive gathered one can use to prevent damping off:

1. h202
2. chamomile tea
3. cinnamon powder
4. sand
5. sulfur soap/solution

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here