Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant markers

Posted by claubill z3Sud ONT (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 8:06

ABout 4 years ago, we dug up the city part of the front yard, the part just before you hit the sidewalk and transplanted a whole bunch of left-over perennials from the backyard. Over the years, people have walked by and some will even ask the names of the flowers. So this morning, I had this idea. What if I put label markers by the flowers. But I'm wondering if there is such a thing on the market where you can write out the names of the flowers on labels and the names ever fade? Any suggestions? I don't want anything too expensive as I'm afraid that some people will actually steal some of the labels. Two years ago, in the middle of the night, someone had actually dug up two of our autumn joy sedums and took off with them. So any suggestions. I guess I could simply put new identification markers when they fade out. We live right beside a Montessori school so it might be fun for the kids. Any pros and cons to this idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant markers

I use the tags in the link below from Lee Valley Tools. They are 9.95 for 50 of them. The copper tags can be written on with a pen and the engraved words stay forever. I then wrap the copper wire around a 4 inch galvanized nail and stick it in the ground. A cheap tag that lasts forever...unless it gets stolen ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Plant Tags

o

I use scissors to cut aluminum soda cans in similar shapes (Cut one end in a point and poke the tag directly into soil) and then write with a ball pen. The engraved words stay forever and it costs nothing.

o

Why don't you just paint the names on flat rocks or stone to add to your garden? Paint takes forever to fade.

o

I truly love the idea of painting on rocks. That is brilliant. Thank you Sunkeeper. I think that's what I'll do.

o

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 10:44

If you coat your rock labels with outdoor varnish after painting the names, they'll last even longer.

o

I cut horizontal blinds into 4" pieces and use those. You'll get hundreds from just one blind.

o

I also use cut up venetian blinds. I then write on them with felt pen......

o

• Posted by msjean Z6..NS...Canada (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 28, 06 at 14:42

I have been buying white T plastic name tags at the Dollar store. They are 10 for $1.00.

Some one told me they use plastic knives stuck in the soil. Those would be even cheaper :)
What do you all use to write on the blinds that will not fade ?

o

I started using broken pieces of terra cotta pots last year, with acrylic paint. Your can use a drill to make a hole (slow and easy does it), and then use some stiff wire to make a hook, or larger pieces could be set in the ground.
I sealed them with varnish and urethane, but can't remember which was which, and one didn't work! Oh well.

They look pretty neat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here