Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cybersunday

Ontario Garden Show

Cybersunday
18 years ago

Ontario Garden Show in Burlington starts on April 6. My son lives in Hamilton and would like me to come to the show. As this involves quite a bit of travelling for me (at least 6hrs with the Toronto trafic), I am wondering if it is worthwhile. Is there anything unusual to look for?

Comments (9)

• abrodie
    18 years ago

I go most years, but I live a 10 minute drive away. It's not super exceptional, but I enjoy wandering around, and I always find some interesting perennials that I don't see at local garden centres. The rock garden might be worth a look at that time, I am not sure if it's officially open that weekend, but crocuses and tulips have had an early start in my garden. Isn't it worthwhile to come and see your son???

Brodie

• peatpod
    18 years ago

As Brodie pointed out .. the show does have some really good vendors but it isnt Canada Blooms :o) Actually I made more purchases last year at the Ontario Garden Show than I did at CB. If you plan to make it a nice weekend visit there are so many different garden centers open in the area that it might be just nice to make it a weekend for garden shopping. I will attend again this year but I too only live a short distance from the RBG. If you cant make the Ontario Garden Show you might want to come down for the RBG plant sale in May.

Laura

• abrodie
    18 years ago

The plant sale is FABULOUS, and that reminds me I must book a day off work! It is May 4 and 6 this year, the Thursday although crowded is much less so than Saturday. I try to get there just when it is opening. I am having a happy attack just thinking about it.

Brodie

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Brodie ... I just recently started volunteering at the RBG and have been spending my Tuesday and Thursday mornings planting and potting up tons of plants ... it looks like it will be a wonderful sale.

Laura

• Cybersunday
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Laura, can you describe what you have there, anything unusual?

• jeanonly_one
    18 years ago

I plan to cross at Fort Erie to visit a friend in Canada & would like driving directions to the RBG once I get on the QEW headed to Toronto. Map searches have me confused, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me 'simple' directions of where to turn etc., to get there. I'm picking up another passenger on the way, but she has never heard of the RBG & doesn't have a clue as she doesn't drive. TIA.

Jean

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Cybersunday: There are way too many plants to actually know what all is there in a glimps :o) They will have a plant list posted about one month prior to the sale so you can plan out your attack :o) Just go to their home page www.rbg.ca

Jean .. I have posted a link that should be good for directions. Their address is on the bottom of the RBG home page so if those directions arnt good you can always use mapquest

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Directions to RBG

• abrodie
    18 years ago

I went to this on Saturday afternoon, first time ever the whole family wanted to go. I have to say I was very disappointed. WAY fewer people selling plants and only one place sold seeds. I didn't buy ANYTHING. Terra's entire display was pond kits and pumps. As I said, very disappointing. Thank goodness the plant sale is there to look forward to.

Brodie

• lisa03
    18 years ago

A couple nurseries that I have bought from in the past weren't selling plants this year (or at least not on Thursday, when I went) and I was disappointed by that too. On the other hand, I did pick up a hydrangea petiolaris Mirranda (a variegated climbing hydrangea which looks gorgeous in the web photos) and I would have purchased a cornus alternifolia Golden Shadows if I hadn't already ordered one from the RBG Select Member sale (as the Garden Show one was much larger and almost the same price). Also, seeing the Ivory Prince Hellebore displayed at the Show (but not for sale) stimulated me to buy one at a local nursery. so...the Show still managed to introduce me to a couple interesting plants.