Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengirlcs

Question about echinacea(sp?)

gardengirlcs
17 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has grown some of the newer varities of echinacea, such as the double decker, sunrise, sunset, green eyes...from seed? I have been sucessful with magnus coming true from seed but was wondering if the others would come true from seed as well.

Comments (6)

• triple_b
    17 years ago

Well, Patrick Studio (who no longer sells seed unfortunately) had White Swan offered in seed. I started a few and farmed them out to friends so we will see how they flower this year.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

I winter sowed Doubledecker a couple of years ago. The first year they flowered, there was no 'doubledeck', but last year they started showing their true character.

• wyndyacre
    17 years ago

I grew Sunrise last year from seed I collected off a friends plant. However, I got them in the ground too late for them to flower last summer, so I'll have to see how they do this year. The plant is healthy and strong.
    I understand that they will not grow true from seed but I'm hoping for a colour similar at least to the original colour.

• gardengirlcs
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank-you all very much. I really have nothing to lose by trying. And if the colors are similar it will add a nice variety to my garden.

• wyndyacre
    17 years ago

I might add that of the 50 or so that I sowed of Sunrise, I only got a few to actually germinate. I'm not a beginner at propagation so can only surmise that these newer varities of echinacea may be partially sterile.
    But you're absolutley right...you have nothing to lose by trying! I just wanted to warn you to be be aware they may be difficult and to be patient. :)

• glen3a
    17 years ago

The first year double decker (also called doppelganger) came out I tried to get plants and/or seeds. I found seeds from a USA source. They warned that they might not develop the unique flowers until the second year, this was true, well actually they didn't bloom the first year because I probably started them too late. In waiting for them to bloom the second year I was a bit skeptical, wondering if the seedlings would even resemble the parent plant they came from and have the double decker flowers.

One thing though, in some cases only a percentage of the seedlings will have the trait or characteristic of the parent plant. Others might be just the plain or something unique.

One of my double decker really has alot of double decker blooms. Another has a few of them but one of them just appeared to be a regular coneflower.

One type of echinacea that doesn't come true from seed is razzmatazz. It's a fully double pom pom looking one. It's not available by seed. You have to buy a plant from the nursery that's been created either by cutting, or root division.

I find that echinacea in general self-sows in the garden. Not enough to be a problem, but I notice a few seedlings here and there. Anyways, it will be interesting to see if any seedlings have the double decker flowers, or who knows, they might be a combination of a few different types of echinacea.

Glen

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor