Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about echinacea(sp?)

Posted by gardengirlcs Sudbury, ON. (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 10:09

I was wondering if anyone has grown some of the newer varities of echinacea, such as the double decker, sunrise, sunset, green eyes...from seed? I have been sucessful with magnus coming true from seed but was wondering if the others would come true from seed as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about echinacea(sp?)

Well, Patrick Studio (who no longer sells seed unfortunately) had White Swan offered in seed. I started a few and farmed them out to friends so we will see how they flower this year.

o

I winter sowed Doubledecker a couple of years ago. The first year they flowered, there was no 'doubledeck', but last year they started showing their true character.

o

I grew Sunrise last year from seed I collected off a friends plant. However, I got them in the ground too late for them to flower last summer, so I'll have to see how they do this year. The plant is healthy and strong.
I understand that they will not grow true from seed but I'm hoping for a colour similar at least to the original colour.

o

Thank-you all very much. I really have nothing to lose by trying. And if the colors are similar it will add a nice variety to my garden.

o

I might add that of the 50 or so that I sowed of Sunrise, I only got a few to actually germinate. I'm not a beginner at propagation so can only surmise that these newer varities of echinacea may be partially sterile.
But you're absolutley right...you have nothing to lose by trying! I just wanted to warn you to be be aware they may be difficult and to be patient. :)

o

The first year double decker (also called doppelganger) came out I tried to get plants and/or seeds. I found seeds from a USA source. They warned that they might not develop the unique flowers until the second year, this was true, well actually they didn't bloom the first year because I probably started them too late. In waiting for them to bloom the second year I was a bit skeptical, wondering if the seedlings would even resemble the parent plant they came from and have the double decker flowers.

One thing though, in some cases only a percentage of the seedlings will have the trait or characteristic of the parent plant. Others might be just the plain or something unique.

One of my double decker really has alot of double decker blooms. Another has a few of them but one of them just appeared to be a regular coneflower.

One type of echinacea that doesn't come true from seed is razzmatazz. It's a fully double pom pom looking one. It's not available by seed. You have to buy a plant from the nursery that's been created either by cutting, or root division.

I find that echinacea in general self-sows in the garden. Not enough to be a problem, but I notice a few seedlings here and there. Anyways, it will be interesting to see if any seedlings have the double decker flowers, or who knows, they might be a combination of a few different types of echinacea.

Glen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here