Basement, with fan to boot

{{gwi:224957}}

Fall bulbs, seem to be poking their heads up

{{gwi:523873}}

{{gwi:458684}}

Comments (20)

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

I get to cheat a little-I have a small greenhouse.
    I've been starting perennials from seed and propagating from divisions since mid Jan.

So far I've started about 20 flats of seeds. I broadcast handfuls of seed across a flat of ProMix and separate the seedlings later to grow on in 3" pots.

{{gwi:523874}}
    {{gwi:290659}}
    {{gwi:523875}}

I've also started White Profusion butterfly bushes, Rubykins pussywillow and honeysuckle vine from cuttings plus rooted up a bunch of Prickly Pear cactus pads.

{{gwi:523876}}

See all the packets of seeds on the counter I still have to sow!

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ah....the joys of owning a GH eh. Looking good I must say. Is that Colocasia or Alocosia bulbs in that big planter by the window? If so, how long does it take to sprout, and how often do you have to water before it sprouts?

I bought some of my herbs and veggie seeds from vesseys as well.

Thx for sharing

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

Yes those are Colocasia esculenta/Elephant Ears in the cement planter. There is also a blue pot of them on the floor. I brought the bulbs back from a New Mexico Walmart a couple winters ago. They are soooo cheap down there!

Initially, they took a long time to come up because they want hot temperatures and my GH is only 50* at night and on cloudy days. As soon as temps got better in late spring, they took right off though and were huge and beautiful all summer. They do like *lots* of water.

They are kind of in a semi dormant state in my cool GH right now. Soon, I'll have to kick them out, down into my sunny basement, for a while as I need the space in the GH for my plant seedlings and divisions as propagation for my spring plant sale ramps up. :)

The photos were taken about a week ago and since then the entire bench area and floor have become full of flats of 3" pots as I pot on the seedlings. And it's too early to be able to move anything out into the coldframe. I'm running out of space!

I must say that I've been disappointed in the numbers of seeds in some of the Veseys packets. Only the packets of foxgloves and lupins were what I consider a reasonable amount. The rest were on the chintzy side and one had only 10 miniscule seeds inside.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hear ya. When I ordered from them, I made sure to read the site to find out how many seeds would be in the packet

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

I ordered some plants from Veseys a couple weeks ago because I received their catalogue with a $25.00 discount if you buy $50.00.
    I just barely ordered over the $50 mark and will receive a collection of 7 Siberian Iris's and the Peony 'Raspberry Sundae'. They won't come until May-I hope I'm happy with the condition of the roots.

Enough snow has melted here that I was able to examine some beds. I see peekage (is that a word?)from daffodils, hyacinths and even some dwarf tulips. Snowdrops are blooming and plants look in very good shape because of the snow cover we've had this winter.

So what have you got growing there besides lilies and dahlias? Is that some cannas going in front of the sliding door? I've got to start potting mine up soon.

I've spent the whole day potting up iris's in the GH. I finally got an exhaust fan in there recently, so it was a comfortable 80*, with the sun out all day. I had several 5 gal. pails full of different varieties. They'll go right back out into the coldframe.

• donna_jj
    16 years ago

Wyndyacre, could you let me know where you purchased the tall domed covers for your grow flats? I purchased one a few years ago, would love to purchase more but can't find them at all the local hardware/nursery stores? Lovely set up, I envy you!! As for the Vesey's seeds, yes, some are a little on the stingy side, I will admit.
    Thanks,
    Donna

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

Donna-I really wish I could find some more of the tall domes also! I've been searching for them to no avail this winter, even checking in the stores in the States as I live minutes from the Sarnia border.
    The one in particular is really nice because it has sliding vents in the top.
    I purchased them years ago at White Rose Nurseries which of course has since gone out of business. Oh how I miss them for stuff like that!

Oh yeah...I potted up some lovely peony roots today also. My Mom got them in a package from Sams Club. Two each of Nippon Moon and Sword Dance-a white and a red.

• ianna
    16 years ago

glaswegian, your home setups are awesome. How many shelves did you create? I've only a table top set up. full of envy here.

donna - it's not quite as comparable but Lee Valley tools have a self watering seed starter set with high domes. Rather expensive though.

ianna

• marilenav1
    16 years ago

I hate to be an enabler but I recently got products from Charleys Greenhouse in the US. I bought quite a few things including a coldframe and it cost me about $60.00 for shipping which I thought was pretty reasonable considering they are in Washington state.

They have high domes which I thought were better than the high domes I purchased at one of the box stores (Canadian Tire and Reno Depot) a few years back because you can open the vents and they are alot sturdier. Right now they are on sale at $4.00 each - I think for something light like that it wouldn't be too expensive on the postage.

Here's the linke

Here is a link that might be useful: Charley's Greenhouse Dome

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

Those domes are nice with the vents on top Maryv and at 3 1/2' high they are a little taller than normal.

The link below to some 7" high domes more closely match the tall ones in my photo. They are at Charley's and also have vents.

I just may have to order some of each! :)
    I can have them sent to an American friend's and slip over the border to pick them up.

Here is a link that might be useful: 7

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

For some reason the whole title of the link didn't go through....

Here's the link again to the 7" tall domes.

Here is a link that might be useful: 7

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

I can't seem to get the link to work. Well, if you use Maryv's link to Charleys and search "domes" you'll get the page with the 7" dome on it.

Has anyone else been having funky problems with this website lately? Earlier today I was having problems opening different threads.

• marricgardens
    16 years ago

Windyacre: I don't know if this will help you but the last time I bought tall domes, a few years ago, I got them at Humbers Nurseries in Brampton. Marg

• donna_jj
    16 years ago

Hello everyone,
    I have finally managed to find the tall domes in Canada, at T&T seeds. They are a bit pricy at $8.50 each, but they are the domes I have been hunting for. A link to the website is below, and the item code is 3023 for anyone else who might be looking for them.

• donna_jj
    16 years ago

Whoops, sorry about that, let's try to post the link again.

Here is a link that might be useful: T&T seeds

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was at humber nursery on hwy 50 in brampton yesterday. The place is huge, and am told it's the largest nursery in ontario?
    I ended up buying some sweet potato vine

• sunita_fleuriste
    16 years ago

Wow...humber has sweet potato vines? Are they the plants or bulbs? Shouldn t there be seed sweet potatoes available?? I don t see them offered anywhere.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They had the plants, not bulbs or sweet potato vine, and it was $2.99 each. Mine are going in planters and hanging baskets.

I know come autumn, I'll have bulbs/tubers from the plants anyway. I bought a few "blackie" and the green one

• wyndyacre
    16 years ago

Glaswegian-did you know that the sweet potato vines are very easy to propagate from cuttings? Since you have some grow lights indoors and have a few of the plants, you can increase the amounts by taking some cuttings, dipping in #1 rooting hormone and poking them into some pots of ProMix.
    You can increase your numbers every year by digging up the plants to bring indoors and hold over the winter and then as spring approaches, taking cuttings and growing on.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes I did, and am going to try that out.

Cheers

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting