Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjean_gw

Brugs.....Angel Trumpets and Daturas...

msjean
18 years ago

I'm confused about the difference s between Angel Trumpets..Brugs and daturas.

I found a place that sell Angel trumpet seeds locally and I found a link that sells brug plants plus seeds in BC.

Anyone here grow any of these or can make suggestions what would be good for my zone 6 Nova Scotia garden ?

I know they will not overwinter and have read that cuttings or seeds can be taken and used the following year.

I planted Moon flowers this year and have read some postings that say they are Daturas ?

Would I be ahead to order the Brug seeds on line...a plant (which one would you suggest) or buy the angel trumpet seeds that I saw at HD ?

Totally confused :(

Here is a link that might be useful: brug plants

Comments (40)

• peatpod
    18 years ago

Hi Ms Jean
    I would go ahead and purchase an actual plant. Or if you want to wait until the weather warms up I can send you a rooted cutting. I have way too many as it is.

Datura flowers point upwards
    Brugmansia flowers point downwards.

Most Brugmansias do not come true to seed. So if there is a specific type of Brug that you are looking for .. you might want to start it from a cutting.

Right now I have about 17 brugs over wintering in my computer room .. that does not includes the 20 cuttings that I have on the go :o)

This will be my second year with them in my garden and I just love them ... check out the brug forum here on GW .. they will give you tons of info.

Laura

• janetr
    18 years ago

It's not surprising you're confused. Even nurseries will frequently mislabel them. Both get called Angel's Trumpets, although daturas also go by Devil's trumpets, thorn apples, jimsonweed. Some of those are supposed to be used for individual species, but of course, people mix them up. Usually when you see brugmansia seed, it's actually daturas, except B. sanguinea, which does grow rather easily from seed.

Yes, datura's have upward pointing blooms. They are herbaceaous, short-lived perennials, usually grown as annuals in Canada from seed. They come ONLY in purple, white and yellow and can be single or double.

My daturas (D. meteloides) last year:

{{gwi:9890}}

Brugmansias are woody perennials which are usually propagated from cuttings, have downward pointing flowers in great abundance and are grown as tropical plants in Canada. They come in white, yellow, pink, red but never purple.

Moonflowers refer to one species of Datura; there is also a morning glory relative that goes by that name...

I've tried bringing potted daturas in for the winter, but they invariably got sick, so I gave up. If you mulched them VERY heavily in your zone, you might get lucky and have them return.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion a bit.

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

It's easy to know if the "moonflowers" you planted were Datura or Ipomoea. If they were Datura, they would have been the rough shape and size of a green pepper seed (flat and with a little dent in one edge). Most Datura seeds are whitish, but there are brown and black ones. The Ipomoea seeds are pretty big - they are the same elongated round shape as regular morning glory seeds, but are pea-sized or larger. They should be white or beige. Brown and black ones aren't usually viable.

I think the use of the common name 'moonflower' for the two unrelated plants comes about because of the similarity of the flowers. Compare my Ipomoea flower to janetr's Daturas:

{{gwi:523986}}

If you really want a Brug, and want to make sure you get a Brug, and not a Datura, you might try trading for one over on the exchanges page - many people take cuttings of theirs and will trade them for other plants

BP

• msjean
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WOW..You guys are an amazing bunch of know it alls...and I mean that in a good way ..lol

I'm so impressed with all the knowledge you have about my questions and I appreciate all the answers.

Jane...I will copy your post and make sure I get it all straight. You certainly explained the differences well...and I can see how confusing it actually is...not just to me...but probably to most people. I don't feel quite so dumb now...LOL

Bonniepunch...thanks for the photo. I winter sowed the moon vine and I can't remember what the seed looked like now. The envelope says it is lpomoea turbinata..relative to the Morning Glory. It also said the blooms are lilac or dusty pink. I sent away and got them from Onaleeseeds.com...so the excitement is now increased to see what grows... :)

Peatpod has graciously offered to send me a cutting of one of her brugs..so I will be busy learning all I can about these beauties before the time comes to plant my new baby.

Thanks again for all the help ...it's much appreciated :))

• jroot
    18 years ago

{{gwi:519045}}

Datura open up, brugs open down.

Maybe there are local growers who can spare a cutting or two. Peatpod would be a good trader as well. We have traded in the past very successfully. I may have some as well.

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

Perfect example photo jroot! It shows the difference in form too - Daturas are more bushy and low growing (although they can get really big!), and Brugmansias are taller and resemble trees. You do have to be careful buying "Devil's" or "Angel's" trumpets - I have seen both names applied to Daturas. Brugmansias tend to be better identified because they are more unusual, and usually people that carry them know what they are.

I'd love to have a Brug (or two or three), but I don't have the room to overwinter any - they can be cut back, but they're still too big for me.

Msjean - If you have Ipomoea turbinata, then it isn't like what I posted. My pic is of Ipomoea alba - it's quite a bit larger flowering than the I. turbinata, and it is white, where the turbinata is pinkish. Usually when people are talking about morning glory moonflowers they mean I. alba, but I. turbinata is also referred to as moon vine, moon flower and moonflower (as well as a few other names). Just to add to the confusion :-)

BP

• msjean
    Original Author
    18 years ago

jroot...beautiful photos.
    What are those small white things in your brug container..and do you prefer to grow your brugs in a pot or in the ground? I saw a photo of some of your in ground plantings somewhere in my interet travels.
    I have never seen Brugs available here in the garden centers and so it is hard to get one unless I mail order from the place in BC.

Bonniepunch...Thanks for clearing up my confusion about moonflowers ??? ..LOL

• jroot
    18 years ago

MsJean, I feel that they do better when planted in the ground, but as I mentioned in my email, they must be brought in for the winter.

Check out your nearest Home Depot. They had a lot of brugs for a very good price at the Canada Blooms show, and said that they intend to have them in their stores. I got started with my "collection" from a Sheridan Nursery several years ago.

• msjean
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's good news about Home Depot having Brugs :)
    I was there on Saturday and picked up a new peony ..Bowl of beauty.
    The brugs will probably come in when the actual garden center at HD opens for the season.
    I am SO HAPPY that today is the first day of spring!!!!
    The winter was mild, but it seemd to drag for me.

I hope that HD has a nice selection of brugs when they get them in. :)

• msjean
    Original Author
    18 years ago

BonniePunch...
    After seeing the photo of your moon vine...I found some at Sobeys of all places. They're called Ipomee Bonne-Nuit..and the envelope says they will grow to 6" across. The photo looks just like the one you posted.
    I winter sowed them and I hope they do well. I have read on the internet that they have a poor germination rate. Did you find that to be true ?

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

Oops - you want to get them inside pronto!!! The cold will kill them.

I have found that I need to nick the seed coat with a pair of nail clippers or they just sit there. When I do that I get a really good germination rate. Seeds that are white or beige are viable, where the brown oned usually aren't. I try them anyway, just in cast, but don't count on them.

BP

• msjean
    Original Author
    18 years ago

BP...
    I winter sowed them so they should do ok. My tomatoes seeds have been out for a couple of weeks now, and all my seeds have already been sowed and are outside. The only thing I have inside is my corkscrew vine that I started in January growing on my windowsill.

• janetr
    18 years ago

Msjean, not all seeds are eligible for wintersowing. I don't know specifically about moonflowers, but marigold seeds, for example, are not cold hardy and must be stored inside and either started inside or outside after last frost. Datura seeds are cold-hardy, even if the plants are not, but unless you have specific, experienced information that Bonne Nuit can be winter-sowed, you'd be better off listening to BP and hustling those babies inside. Although, if they've already frozen it's probably too late.

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

The seeds can tolerate some cold, but not wet freezing temps. Also the seedling itself shouldn't be exposed to temps below 10C - it'll stunt it to the extent that you might not get any blooms before the fall frosts. They're very tender plants, and aren't good wintersowing candidates.

They like the hottest, sunniest spot you can give them. I generally have a first set of blooms in mid-late July, and then a larger set in late August. It's the first set that gives me the seeds - the later blooms rarely ripen before the frost kills them. They're fussy but they smell so nice that they're worth it in my opinion :-)

BP

• msjean
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the good advice :)

• sheryl_ontario
    18 years ago

Just a warning about brugs and daturas. All parts of the plant are extremely poisonous. Datura seeds are becoming a problem with drug users. Some gardeners are finding that kids steal them and use them to get high.

Also, red spider mites can be a real problem with brugs.

But they are worth it!!

• gumtree4
    18 years ago

I have an Angle Trumpet that I over winter in my garage. Once a month I give it some water and then when there is no danger of frost I put it outside. Mine sits in the straight sun and like lots of water .......

• msjean
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The good news is that my Moon Flowers were bought inside as per the sound advice I received here and have sprouted in a sunny window.
    Happiness is :)

• msjean
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Update... Had an e-mail from a sweet lady named Cindy in Va. who offered to send me some Datura seeds ..purple and white ones. I was so surprised and it made me feel so nice !!
    Gardeners are the greatest!!

• jroot
    18 years ago

I was in Home Depot yesterday in Mississauga, Ontario, and they had a LOT of brug cuttings selling at just under $8.00 CAN. They looked quite healthy.....and a very good price.

• msjean
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Off to HD I will go in the morning.:)
    Thanks for the heads-up.

• bonniepunch
    18 years ago

Your moonflowers should be fine in the window - mine go there when they get too viney to stay under the lights.

I had three pop up today!

If you're trying to attract those hawk moths with them, you should have success if they're in your area - they come to mine. I see the moths out in the day too, but I don't know what they're after then. Don't kill any tomato hornworms if you find them (or don't kill them all, anyway). Those are the larvae.

There's a neighbour up the street with a huge yellow brug. He had it out today to spray it for bugs - it wasn't blooming of course, but it still looked really good! I wish I had the room for one (or two or three...)! DH loves them too, but our place is too small and is already packed to the rafters with plants.

BP

• msjean
    Original Author
    18 years ago

BP....Don't worry about the tomato hornworms in my yard. This is a well known bug sanctuary..lol.
    Hope I can find brugs at our local HD :)

• msjean
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Went to the Home Depot this morning and the garden center is not open yet :(

• ntaylor_2006
    18 years ago

BP - don't know if it helps you, but in my garden, the moths, which I know as sphinx moths, go to my Dame's Rocket in mid-May. I just love watching them, but have never seen them at my Brug. 8-(

Oh well - happy Spring!

• kimmy61
    17 years ago

ok ya'll i'm really excited here. i have a black swirl datura that has givin me 2 pods. that has poped open, now what do i do with the seeds, until next spring? do i keep them in the crisper, or what...HELP

• jroot
    17 years ago

kimmy61,

Good work collecting seeds already. Mine are not nearly ready. Keep the seeds in a dry cool place. They don't have to be stratified or go through a cold spell from my experience. But you don't want them to dry out either. I kept mine in the basement last year until April when I started them. They are blooming now......but not producing mature seed yet. I also found that the black swirl does not always germinate, so take lots of seeds and plant the best ones in the spring.

• kimmy61
    17 years ago

thanks so much for your help

• Erikka
    17 years ago

I have a question for gumtree4:

You wrote that you overwinter Angel trumpets in your garage. Do you give them any extra light and do you water them?
    I would love to grow some but was wondering where to store them in the winter.
    Thanks Erikka

• peatpod
    17 years ago

Hi Erikka
    Gumtree4 resides in BC and isnÂt subjected to the harsh winters we have in Ontario. I reside in Burlington Ont. With our zone I personally over winter mine in a dormant state. Although I am far from being an experienced Brug grower, there are many people on the Brug forum that will help you out. What I have done is cut them back to a manageable size  making sure I keep some cuttings to share with others :o) I then dig them up and put them into smaller pots. They will loose most of their leaves which is o.k. as they will be put into a dormant state by placing them in a dark cool area of my home. Last year I wasnÂt able to do this as my nephew took over my grow room in the basement and they did well in my computer room. I watered them about once a month  not too much but enough to give them a little drink. I did have problems with spider mites so if you do decide to grow these beauties I would suggest spraying them on a regular basis to keep the mites in check.

In the spring I set up a seasonal greenhouse with a little heater just in case the temps drop at night. Once they are out I give them a good drink and a weak dose of fertilizer. They are heavy feeders and love their water. With in no time they are leafing out and looking wonderful.

I hope this helps you a bit .. If you garage is heated you could store them in there. But they cant tolerate a freeze ..

Laura

• Erikka
    17 years ago

Hi Laura,

Thank you so much for your help! I don't have any plants,yet. I was trying to figure out how to grow and overwinter them first.
    I've seen them all over the neighbourhood ( even a 7-8 ' tall one)and the fragrance in the evening is so awesome. Most of them are yellow and pinkish.
    Hopefully I will get started next spring!
    Thanks again
    Erikka

• msjean
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I never did find any brugs at our local HD..but thanks to Laura..(Peatpod) I do have some brugs....No blooms...but maybe next year....

{{gwi:523991}} and my Moonflower......
    Again no blooms yet...but soon I'm sure....

{{gwi:523995}}

• peatpod
    17 years ago

Jean ... you would find that the cuttings I sent you will grow bigger and possibly flower by the end of the season if they were in the ground or in much larger pots. The cuttings that I started last year were about 6-7 feet tall by the end of the season. I use that size pot to over winter them in .. the root system is so forgiving. At first I thought I would have to keep them in HUGE pots but once I saw how Ruth Ann brought her's in I did the same. They do look very happy in the photo ...

Laura

• msjean
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info Laura.
    I'll repot them for this year as I think it's too late to plant them n the ground now. They seemed to be doing well, so I thought the pot size was ok :(
    Next year, I'll put them in the ground in the spring.

• venuscat
    17 years ago

Datura seed seems to germinate on it own here while overwinter in the ground. A few always seem to come up for me the following year.

Brugmansia I find it a bit of a challenge having to overwiner here in Zone 3. I had three but down to one now. I have yet to figure that out what I did wrong.

• ianna
    14 years ago

daturas are from south america and are tropical so no, these plants cannot be left outdoors during winter. Brugs on the other hand can reseed and come back the following season.

• diggy500
    14 years ago

hello
    first.....talithaluna.....around the time of first fall frost...ease way up on watering and take all green off the brugmansia's...
    .place them in a not so warm place in the dark or dimly lit area in the basement and give a cup of water once a month or so....
    in spring,put them in front of any window with light and they will come back fine...no problem..then when all danger of frost has passed...out they go...

second....ianna....i think you have that backwards my friend.....datura will come back from seed in the right zone....or just save the seed and sow in spring...
    brugs are from south america and can not handle the cold...seed or plant..
    cheers and happy gardening all..
    diggy

• ianna
    14 years ago

you are absolutely right. I meant brugs are not winter hardy and daturas reseed. I don't know why I switched the 2.

• calicocat3394_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have been searching for Angel's Trumpet seeds for the last month and haven't found any. I live in Oshawa, Ont.
    Can anyone tell me where to look?