Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

Here's a challenge for all my seed addictive pals

User
12 years ago

While searching for some seeds to share with my pal....and I'm still searching....I've decided to gather everything up and take stock. I want to achieve a few things with this exercise:

1. restore some level of sanity to my planting space (it's pandemonium in there! Every seed for himself - female plants and seedlings first - save yourself, save yourself!!!)

2. inventory because I no longer know what I have and I've been tempted to buy more seeds now that the seed racks are out (this is where I know I have developed a serious affliction that even my Prozac can't help...gulp!)

3. print a list for myself to prevent purchasing duplicates. I was thinking of putting the list in my wallet (I don't do purses) but on second thought just to carry that list I think I may have to carry my small canvass bag now to hold it - oh dear.)

4. publish my results and admit I have an addiction. Kinda like AA but there will be no 12 steps to this one because I can't stop seeds and seed gathering. I just can't and you can't make me.

Anyone else care to take part if you are finding you are having a dull day in your area after this last early spring "heatwave".

I don't plant ... plan on being bored today. Going back outside to do more garden weeding and continue working on some hillside garden steps (nothing fancy just pounding the slope into submission and laying remnant cedar and pine boards along the edges with cut off tree branches hammered in to help hold them up. I've really got spring fever.

So - ya wanna join me and get to the bottom of your current stash? I expect to be both embarrassed and pleasantly surprised.

C'mon, let's just do it!

Cheers,

McPeg

Comments (7)

• Crafty Gardener
    12 years ago

I spent time this winter organizing all my seeds at myfolia.com You have a master list, can add info, planting dates, milestones etc. If you would like an invite to join, send me an email and I'll send it along to you.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Craftygardener,
    Thanks. I've seen the site - it's incredible. I have lots of fun playing with my packs. I also do a page on new stuff I'm growing in the floral department with growing tips and other information that I pop in a binder. I'm more manual. Last year I did a spreadsheet for my veggies to see how things grew but this year I have stuff mapped out now. I just lose track of what seed packs I have and love to finger through them, lay them out and play with them like I was five again and just got my new Tinkertoy tube of parts.

Still have to do that but ran out of time today when friends popped over. It's on my hit list tomorrow of Peggy Time.

I do recommend "myfolia.com" to gardeners. They provide a fantastic service.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• Crafty Gardener
    12 years ago

I love to organize my seeds too. I've actually planted some pea seeds outside and they are just poking through the ground. I'm tracking them at Folia. You can download the files from there and have your own copies. But I do agree, keeping your own log on paper is satisfying, something to pull out later and look at.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Oh dear. I knew I had a little bit of an interest in growing things and I do get very excited planting seeds and waiting for them to sprout, but after reading this particular post, I am afraid it is more serous than I originally thought.........I guess I don't do too much half way. :) I have just updated my seed list from 2009 and have yet to add the seeds I have coming in this year. I do keep the lists on the computer along with the year purchased and where I got them from but that is as far as it goes. I do have lists of every plant I purchase too and my seed lists are organized in Vegies and Flowers/Ornamental. I am very manual too, Peggy. I like to take my list and my binders/notebooks everywhere.....to bed, to my favorite chair, to my neighbours ect. ect. My husband has learned to just expect me to be attached to a few seed catalogues and my friends know me as the Garden Lady.

This year I did something different that I am so far enjoying. Every year I purchase a daily minder and my daughter often buys one for me too. I have been giving them away the past few years but decided to keep the extra one I got for Christmas 2011 and make it a garden journal. It is so easy! Some days I just write the weather in it and some of the changes I notice in the yard or that I updated my seeds or ordered some plants. So far it has worked great and then I can just save the books for reference. I might get the 9 x 11 whole page one next year though. :)

BTW, I updated my seeds on January 2nd and 3rd but have to re enter the list since I switched programs.:) I think it amounts to an all day job. :/

Ginny Garden

• Crafty Gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Peggy, just read in another post you are from the Kingston area. You are quite close to me as I'm just to the north of Belleville.

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

Peggy,
    My most important seeds are on my desk so I don't forget them. Leaving very little space on my desk. I have decided that I have more Tomato seeds than I need. So, I gave them away on my recycling group, Fullcircles London ON. To a group of girls that are planning to grow community garden to help feed the poor. Best of luck to them.
    This promises to be an angst feeled year for me. So, I'll need my garden for food and as a healing garden.
    You know the best thing is my herb tea garden is coing along nicely.
    Already growing nicely, is my mint, spearmint, sage, lemonbalm. Stinging nettles, I am planning on making nettle and mint tea, and nettle soup which is great. But a secret treat for myself. I am sure it will freak out the honey bunny, even though he is scottish and that's where it comes from.
    It would be a good idea for me to write down a list. I got a pack of beet seeds yesterday. Only because that is the only thing they had. It was Canadian Tire in St. Thomas and not much good stuff there. Do you grow vegetables too?

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone! And yes Luckyness I grow vegetables too. That is today's list. This list is a quick basic list - I'm working on it still in more detail with the different varieties.

Peggy Veggies 2012 seed basket

Asparagus
    beans (assorted types)
    beets (enough for an army
    carrots (trying heritage yellow, purple, red this year) and regular varieties
    celery (this year they're getting full sun and more room)
    chard (swiss red and rainbow)
    cucumbers (assorted)
    lettuce (heirloom, romaine and head)
    kale/spinach/mustard greens (assorted)
    melons (heirloom and cantelope)
    parsley (good dryer)
    peas (green, assorted)
    peppers (cayenne and bell-need to start now indoors)
    turnip (white, laurentian - I'm turnip'd challenged brown thumb)
    squash/marrow/zucchini (heirloom and assorted)
    tomato (heirloom preferred and others)
    tomatilla (not fussed, take a ton of space and need early start and long hot summer)

And when my head gets around that my garden will only be so big I'll be listing my extras for trading or whatever.

Then there are the flowers in a pile beside me.

What was I thinking? I don't have them and must grab this pack.........really?

If ya think this is bad we won't talk at all about quilting fabric okay.

Gotta get back at things around here!
    Cheers,
    Peggy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting