Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claubill

Crocosmia

claubill
16 years ago

For years, I've been trying to grow crocosmia, sometimes with the bulbs and sometimes with seeds with no success. I'm trying one more time. I have a little packet of crocosmia seeds from a trade and I was wondering if it's too early to sow them indoors. Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

I might be wrong but I don't think Crocosmia is winter hardy in your zone 3, try growing it in a container so it can be moved into a protected area for the winter or dig and store the corms in the fall, replant in spring. I think 'Lucifer is one of the more hardier varieties but I think you would still have to either containerize or dig it in the fall.

• shadylane5
    16 years ago

I'm from zone 5,twice I've tried crocosmia, "Emberglow" and failed to see any returns the following season. The label read zone5-9 for cold hardiness. I love the bright red/orange flower stems so I will try again. This time in containers or dig them up for winter storage when I see them again.

Sowing Crocosmia from seed is possible,but they do not come back true from seed(same as mother plant). Here is some information that I have:
    Sow seeds as soon as they are ripe or between winter or early spring in moist soil 1/8-1/4" @ 65-70 degrees.
    Just press the seeds into the moist soil.
    The seedlings will have the appearance of thin grass, but with a thick tough texture.If you are successful with the germination the flowering will not take place until maturity,which is 2-3 years.

• marilenav1
    16 years ago

I have a friend who lives in Zone 4 and she is successful having Crocosmia overwinter. As far as I know, the only Crocosmia that is hardy in Zone 5/6 is Lucifer. And even then, it really needs extremely well-drained soil - almost sandy to succeed.

I think that if you have good snowcover and excellent drainage, it might be worthwhile to try Crocosmia Lucifer again. I grew Crocosmia masoniorum from seed this year. I sowed the seed in early January and they germinated about 20 days later. I also don't believe that Crocosmia grown from seed would bloom the same year. I think you would need to grow them on a couple of years before you see blooms. Generally, you can buy a pack of bulbs for about $4.00 for 10 bulbs. You might want to consider buying bulbs again if you really want this plant but make sure to choose the largest bulbs possible.

• jardinomane
    10 years ago

I LOVE crocosmias!
    I grew Emberglow from seeds and some of them bloomed in their second year. They are now mixed with more "Emberglow" I bought as bulbs and my seed grown babies seem taller.. or is it the other way around? Anyway, I am not surprised to see differences since hybrids are normally unstable when grown from seeds.
    My crocosmias (Lucifer and Emberglow) overwinter well if planted deeper and in well draining soil. My first two attempts at overwintering them (in very moist soil, though) was a disaster: all dead and rotting come Spring. I know better now. Good drainage, deeper planting and a bit of dried leaves on top (if you don`t have reliable snow cover). and voilÃÂ ! They are totally worth it!

• sherylgallant
    10 years ago

I just bought a package of 10 'Lucifer" bulbs at Walmart for about $6.00. There is a park in Barrie, ON that has a large grouping of them that has spread over the years. They are beautiful! I can't wait to see what they do here! I'm assuming that they will be winter hardy enough to survive the winter in zone 6? Is that right?maybe I'll dig them up anyway, just to be safe and store with my cannas, callas and dahlias.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

I have bought pots of Lucifer (usually 6!) every spring past 3 years and unfortunately, never managed to overwinter them.
    I am sure the reason was that I kept them in pots - and they (pots) were probably too small. Mulched generously with fallen leaves, but obviously not enough. And, possibly, they got wet feet.
    I won't give up, and get them again this spring. But will plan a good, well draining and somehow sheltered spot for them - hope it will work. This was in Toronto (z. 6a/b), Barrie is further north (almost 100km and zone 5a) - if they can grow them there, I should be able too. Btw, just about to move -will be much closer to Barrie than TO, and in colder zone.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 20:27

• sherylgallant
    10 years ago

Perhaps you can dig them up, dry them out and store in a cool place for the winter?

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks