Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jannabeen

Canada Blooms 2010 reviews?

jannabeen
14 years ago

Has anyone gone to see Canada Blooms? I go tomorrow and wonder how much time to plan for. I usually get my husband to pick me up because of delicate plant purchases. Is the show bigger or smaller at the new location?

Comments (7)

• ianna
    14 years ago

jannabeen, I just returned from a visit there and I should say, this one is a winner. It's got great set up. The new location is so much more better. Great great displays. Love it. The Marketplace has improved so much as well. I got way too many succulents (my favorite). I wasn't able to see everything so I'm going back again tomorrow.

Can't say if the show is bigger but the size is fine & comfortable. Bring good walking shoes

The only thing I can suggest, is bring yourself a sandwich and a drink because the food is far too expensive. The only one that was fine price wise is the Lebanese food.

• green_thumb_guy
    14 years ago

I agree about bringing food with you. We went to Subway before heading out.

Since I had the tickets given to me, I'd say it was okay. I found that there were fewer display gardens (which seems to be the trend over the last few years. The Marketplace was nothing to rave about. Freeman Herbs has some neat indoor minitomatoes for $10. There was a place from Montreal that has some really great peonies(higher end ones like Bartzella. I picked up one I hafve been after and a lady slipper. Not the cheapest prices but I wanted to choose. Be careful, there is another Peony vendor with a big booth that is selling theirs for $24 ea. I think that they are over priced for the varieties they are selling.

There are a lot of "filler" for tourism, kitchen gadgets etc that would be better at the Home show. There was nothing overly exciting for me. Did wish I had picked up this neat orange flower - just can't remember the name.

Don't have high expectations and you will enjoy yourself -take your time too.

We did enjoy ourselves but I enjoyed stopping by Walmart and picking up a huge orchid a cymbidium orchids for $20. It 's steal considering i have only seen them for $90 or marked down to $50 when they were trying to clear them out. They look really nice - good selection of colours.

:)

• green_thumb_guy
    14 years ago

Just thought i would show the plants

This is the minitomato from Freeman Herbs; this is my actual plant in my front window.
    {{gwi:524661}}
    {{gwi:524662}}

Here's the orchid from Walmart.
    {{gwi:524663}}

{{gwi:524664}}

lots of great colours left.

• wayner2000
    14 years ago

Hi, great pics and yes I did enjoy Canada Blooms this year. I agree, the tourism booths would be better suited to the Home shows. I would like to see more plant vendors and less jewellery and gagets.

• ianna
    14 years ago

I actually saw more plant sellers this year compared to last year. I discovered other plant sellers in town I've never heard of. I had gone all succulents this time. And being the person that I am, I enjoyed the other garden related stores selling decors and metalworks and such. I had more fun at this year's show compared to last year's. I would be the first to complain if it was dismal. I think the show's producers are listening to it's attendants finally!. The feel was very vibrant. The colours were exciting. I would be more encouraging to the show's producers to improve further. As for the number of displays.. I like that this year, they had many really good quality displays. My daughter had such a blast at the Disneyland garden disply.. I love the vegetable and herb garden display.

As for the food prices - well interestingly despite it being expensive, it is comparable to food in any trade show. I've attended Creativ which is a sewing festival, One of a Kind Show and the prices are very similar. I had to laugh when someone attending Canada blooms,mentioned spending $25 on pizza and pop at an Autoshow. I guess that means, we goers will just have to be more organized about bringing in food.

• green_thumb_guy
    14 years ago

I skipped the last couple years because I was not enjoying the show.

Loblaws use to have some of the neatest plants and deals around. with them gone -I'm disappointed. Terra greenhouses was not there either. Despite being expensive, I do love walking thru their place.

Humber didn't have much of a display. I was hoping they would do their deal on mini hostas - like they had previously.

I did not get to enjoy the presentations - not enough seating. Would have liked to listen to a few.

I don't get the garden block competition?

Perhaps, my expectations are just too high and my addiction to gardening has me craving for more than what is reasonable.

• sorellina
    14 years ago

Ciao all-

I agree that there were fewer real gardening-related vendors this year and that was somewhat disappointing. I remember one year there was a vendor selling things like gardening clothing but also had a rack of Renee's Garden Seeds. Renee's is an American company and it was so exciting to see her stuff up here, but alas, I can't remember the vendor's name and that was a few years ago. I've looked since but haven't seen her stuff anywhere up here so I get them from traders and American CARE boxes.

My favourite garden was the High Park replica Children's Garden. I spent about 40 minutes just talking to the people there and taking photos until my batteries ran out of juice. They had EVERYTHING growing in there from edible flowers to things children normally don't like: brassicas like kales and brussels sprouts, herbs of every colour and type, even peas and beans growing up an obelisk. This is a mock up garden, people! Imagine transplanting real peas and beans of such size as to wind around an obelisk for a garden show. I was tremendously impressed and will be checking out the Children's Garden over at High Park for sure this summer.