Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunroon Plants

Posted by emef11 NL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 5, 06 at 13:50

Hello,

I have a sunroom and have built in bowes under the windows to put plats in.

What types of plants can you recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunroon Plants

Whatever you want!

I would recommend you buy a hygrometer/thermometer so that you can keep an eye on the humidity and temperature (you can buy them for $20 or so at Canadian Tire or even some drugstores). Sunrooms can get hot, and most houses are too dry, so you'll probably need to add humidity.

As for plants though - what do you like? Tropical jungle plants? Ferns? Flowering plants? Cacti and succulents? What kind of experience do you have growing plants (some plants are easy care, and others are fussier)?

You won't be able to have everything at once , so you'll need to decide what your preferences are. For example, cacti and ferns need very different conditions, and are not really compatible :-)

BP

o
RE: Sunroon Plants

I would recommend Cacti, succulents and their relatives. Watering is easy, very few pest problems and the selection is endless. Echeverias, Aeonium and many other exotic 'arid' types are available.

We started out with several types of plants in the sunroom but are slowly migrating to the plants outlined above (the pest/bug control for other types of plants was taking too much effort)

A friends dish garden of arid type plants.

Blue echeveria

Cabbage echeveria

Another friends dish garden

Cheers,
MG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here