Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

What I've learned - Delphinium seeds

User
12 years ago

I thought I'd share this. It's new to me an so far proving successful. Maybe old news to some but not me.

Year after year I've sowed delphinium seeds in late winter to grow on my windowsill for summer. Year after year I've had no joy. Even contacted a seed company I purchased seeds from - they sent replacement seeds and still no joy. I've planted according to the seed packet information.

This year while scouring the forums and the internet someone kindly noted that the delphinium seeds need darkness to germinate - not by covering the seed but absolute darkness.

The stores don't put delphinium seeds in the cold but I have stored them in the fridge for a few months to plant and still no joy.

This time I've even skipped the fridge and just planted the seeds on wet soil (not dripping wet) and pushed the seeds into the soil with my palm. Instead of the windowsill I've placed them in my utility room on a shelf. They are popping their heads up - at long last. They need darkness to germinate. And the fresher the seeds the better. I have lost a few because I was not checking daily and they out grew their reserves. Now I check them every afternoon with my reading glasses on so I can see them. I gently take a fork and lift them ever so easy because they are just sending out a root from the seed. I place them in a moist seed cell on top of the soil and gently, very gently push them into the dirt so the root has good contact. If I catch them with an 1/8th of an inch I very carefully point the root tip down and pack the soil around with the fork tyne. So far this is working. I return the tray to the dark to continue letting the seeds germinate. I have two seeds - one from an Ebay purchase where the guy puts his seed immediately in the fridge to store (those are the ones germinating) and the other is store bought. They have not germinated ... yet. I'm still hoping and checking daily. If they start to get dry I add a few drops of water on the cell pack so I don't have mold starting.

What has your experience been with Delphinium seeds?

Cheers,

Peggy

Comments (6)