Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theontariogardener

New to the forums.

TheOntarioGardener
13 years ago

Good afternoon everyone.

I recently purchased a farm in Ontario and wanted to introduce myself. I have been an avid gardener for years, and in the late 90's, i ran a small retail nursery in Pennsylvania. In 2007 I moved up to Ontario to continue my education and it has led me to my newest adventure.

With my land I am planning on growing and selling vegetables from the farm, as well as getting into taking cuttings and propagation, and hopefully in a few years be able to sell the plants that I grow.

I look forward to viewing past topics as well as creating my own, and interacting with all of you.

Happy planting!

~JD

Comments (8)

• rosco_p
    13 years ago

JD: Welcome to Ontario and to the forums! Hope that your year will be filled with great successes as you go forward with your new venture. Ross.

• ianna
    13 years ago

welcome. I hope you do come and chat about your progress.

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

Welcome JD.
    Hope you add some life to this forum. Not too many posts. Maybe it is too general?
    Sounds like you will be busy. How many acres do you have to work with?

• TheOntarioGardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@Rosco_p Thanks Ross. I wish you much luck this year as well!

@ianna Thank you!

@swontgirl_z5a Thank you. Maybe more of the traffic is directed in the US boards, as the population of members most likely is higher. Possibly also because the information that is posted there is viable for parts of Canada too.

The farm has 25 acres, most of which is pasture/brush, and the rest is horse paddocks,(my common law girlfriend and I are also running a horse boarding/lesson facility on the property).

• User
    13 years ago

Hi JD - welcome!

I hoping to expand and grow a home based business from our land too. I don't have your experience - just years of being an avid gardener.

I'm on mixed land - a few acres that can be turned back into bearing produce (too large scale for me), mixed hardwood and in the far back as part of the lake systems around here, we have a stream between ponds which all flow into lakes. Getting to them is no laughing matter because of the mixed forest into marsh area. Nothing you can just dive into or swim in.

Welcome, I look forward to hearing about your adventures!

Cheers,
    Peggy

• DrHorticulture_
    13 years ago

Welcome OntarioGardener. If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about purchasing farmland? Did you use a real estate agent or was it a private sale?
    How do you plan on marketing your vegetables?

• ontnative
    13 years ago

Just curious. You listed your zone as 4b. What part of Ontario are you in? Northwest, far east (near Quebec border), central (between Barrie and North Bay)?? I'm in southwest? southcentral? about an hour west of Toronto.

• TheOntarioGardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@mcpeg Thank you Peggy. Starting a home based business, even if just on the side can be an exciting time! I for one and looking forward to it. Growing the plants, taking care of them, and finally selling what they produce, or even the plants themselves. Starting small is how I am going to approach it. Well, maybe not "that" small, but small in my eyes and what I think I can handle on my own. I wish you much luck though this season!

@drhorticulture Thank you for the welcome. I found the property online, and viewed it in person and then dealt with the real estate agent. If I would do it again, I would get my own agent, not use a common agent. If you can afford it, hire a good real estate lawyer to handle your purchase. They are worth there cost, especially in my case.

My vegetables, for this season will be a roadside stand. I do not know the area at all, and due to everything else that is going to be going on on the farm, it makes the most sense at this time. Possibly next year I may go to a market, or try to market my products towards restaurants.

@ontnative I am in Dufferin County.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH