Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arkipelago

Where to find Pro-Mix Ultimate Seeding Mix in Ontario?

arkipelago
13 years ago

Does anyone know where to find this type of soil mix? I live near Hamilton Ontario.

Thank you.

Andrew

Comments (18)

• jenangelcat
    13 years ago

Have you checked the local nurseries? That's where I'd get mine when I lived in Ontario.

• bev_w
    13 years ago

"Ultimate Seeding Mix" is a new product in Premier's "Consumer" line. You may have trouble finding it-- there are many, many similar products from many brands / manufacturers, and the average garden center may be reluctant to warehouse a big selection of such bulky, low-margin items.

You may have better luck going to a farm supply company and buying a compressed bale from one of Premier's "Professional" line. If you don't let it freeze, it will last for years-- or pool with some gardening friends on the cost of a bale.

For years I've been using Premier PGX-- it is very fine and consistent, low dust, easily wetted, and sterile. After trying several "consumer" alternatives from Premier, Scotts and Fafard, nothing compares to the PGX.

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I live near Stayner and I get mine at Lowe's. It's Professional BX with Micorizze (spelling?). You could always ask if they can get the other one.

• ianna
    13 years ago

The MYKE thing -- good to know Marg. I've been frustrated at the Canada Blooms when approaching the MYKE booth and only to be told I can't buy it from them but have to get it from a source somewhere else. At least I go to Lowes.

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

You can buy Myke at several garden centres, big box stores and Cdn tire too. But, be sure to check where they have the3 product sitting - it is temperature sensitive.

Also look at the expiry date - each container has one.

If you can't find any with a reasonable expiry date, write Mykes

When buying direct from Mykes - their commercial products come in a bulk size and is close to $100 . So don't be to disappointed that you can't buy from them.

:)

• ianna
    13 years ago

good to know.

• sharont
    13 years ago

Thanks for the heads up that Promix Professional is sold at Lowes. Hopefully they have the 107L compressed bale. Last year I used BMI and Fafard products. Not what I was used to using so want to go back to Promix Professional! When ungerminated pots are left out for 2 years you want to be sure the mix will absorb and drain water well and not dry out too quickly. Has anyone experience with this product becoming hard packed over time?

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

sharont: I buy the 107L bales here. I can't remember when they came on sale but I bought several to see me through the winter. Yes, it does become hard packed after sitting all winter, I'm using the last of it right now. I put some in a large tub, pour hot water over it and let it sit til it cools down. That softens it up enough to handle. I've tried Fafard before but didn't really care for it. Marg

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

I've been using Promix BX this winter. I don't know if it's any different from what I have had before. The bag says
    Pro-Mix BX is a General Purpose peat based growing medium that contains MYCORISE PRO a beneficial mycorrhizal inoculum . The microscopic fungi attach and colonize root systems working in symbiosis with plants. Endomycorrhizal fungi benefit the host plant by increasing acquisition of water and nutrients. There is an expiry date on the side of the bale but I can't determine what it means ei. the order of numbers. Mine could be expired for all I know. But i like promix and have always used it for starting my seedlings. I didn't realize this was anything different. I get mine at a small mennonite general store - they have the best prices and it was strored outside which I like because I think it kills any bug eggs in it.
    Debbie

• bev_w
    13 years ago

I tried a Fafard product and I went back to ProMix PGX. The Fafard contained a lot of chunks of sphagnum peat, along with a lot of dust and twigs. Looked like it had been screened at about 3/8"-- way too coarse for my needs.

The ProMix contains a wetting agent that helps keep the surface from crusting. Even the ProMix forms a crust if the pots are allowed to dry out, but re-wetting is easier than with other brands. I find that re-wetting is easier if you spray the surface with a fine mist. Spraying is generally preferable to pouring water, since a stream of water can dislodge fine seeds and send them over the edge-- between the peat block and the pot wall.

My experience with storing it-- if the compressed bale is stored, or frozen, for any length of time, it will lose its "loft". It won't fluff up nicely when water is added, like it is supposed to. So my advice is to either use it up before winter, or "decant" it into smaller bags so it can be stored de-compressed and de-lumped, if that makes sense.
    Doing this by hand it tedious-- sometimes I hire the kid next door to crumble it into smaller bags.

swontgirl-- bug eggs? I wouldn't worry. This stuff is completely sterile. Greenhouse growers wouldn't touch it otherwise.

• ianna
    13 years ago

Just wondering -- if Mycrorise is a beneficial fungus, then why would we have to apply it regularly? Shouldnt it replicate itself and so once innoculated you don't need to treat plants repeatedly?? Why is there an expiry then? I just wonder how this was processed..

• green_thumb_guy
    13 years ago

The fungus does replicate itself once it "comes in contact with" the roots (symbiotic relationship) and doesn't need to be re-applied.

If it is not in contact with plant roots - then it eventually dies out.

• wulfe
    13 years ago

Rona in Alberta carries it but as of last week, their spring stock wasn't available yet - I suspect it'll be around very soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Homesteading Adventures

• bglads
    13 years ago

Try William Dam Seed on Hwy#8, West Flamborough. I bought Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic Mix there last month. Though it seems more like a potting mix, it is recommended for starting seeds as well.

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I just got back from Lowe's in Barrie. They have three types of Pro Mix, the BX Professional,HP High Porosity Growing Medium, both with MYKE. I forget what the other one is called. Good memory but it's short! Marg

• sharont
    13 years ago

Do you remember which ones or where all of those you saw offered in the compressed bale, Marg?

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

They were all in a 3.8 cubic foot compressed bale. I bought 2 bales for now. I may have to go back. Marg

• donka
    13 years ago

Second what bglads said. I use the Promix PGX I buy from William Dam seeds in Flamborough. It's a great seed starter. I had no luck with the BX, it was too peaty and wouldn't retain water well enough for seedlings.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County