Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmacgarden

Best Nurseries to order from?

Heather Macdonald
10 years ago

This is a dangerous time of year...still snow everywhere and I'm sooo anxious to be in the garden, so I order plants!! Where do you order peonies,hostas,daylilies (my 3 favorites,, with primulas,heucheras, etc, :>) )
Here is one of my favorite peonies (Singing in the Rain)...anyone else with a favorite plant to share?
Heather

Comments (12)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

That is beautiful peony...sorry, no advice on nurseries, just had to comment on your gorgeous plant.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 10:05

• ianna
    10 years ago

Oh there's a peony seller who has been on a few Canada Blooms show but I didn't go last year and so i don't know if that person wll be here this year. Excellent peonies though. She's Ameircan and had been featured in Martha Stewart's magazine.

• justanotherider
    10 years ago

Heather:

I'm convinced the best nurseries are the gardens of friends. The plants are free, and I notice that people forget where they bought plants; but they almost always remember who gave them a plant.

• ianna
    10 years ago

The seller is peony envy and she's coming into town. Will be at the Canada Blooms this week. Excellent stuff. I have already 3 of her plants.

• Heather Macdonald
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does she have mail order? I usually buy from Osiris in Quebec (closer for me than Toronto)...always on the lookout for others.
    Heather

• pwin
    9 years ago

Singing in the Rain - gorgeous.

A bunch of people discussed peony vendors across the US and Canada in the link below. Peony's Envy wasn't amongst them. However, she is based in NJ. Careful with international shipping. Some companies are just flat out expensive with their shipping fees, exorbitant phytosanitary certificate, and minimum order.

I, too, have ordered from Osiris. Any problems? I've ordered from Boreal Farms and D'aoust as well. I like them all. I included pics of the roots received from those companies. Another lady regularly orders from Parkland Perennials (great reviews all around for that company) and Blossom Hill, I believe. And someone else ordered from Peonies from the Field. Anyway, it's there! There's also Pure Peonies which now has a distributor in Vancouver so shipping is now greatly reduced for Canadians, but I've had issues contacting them so I haven't ordered. However, some of their prices are pretty good and when they are aware that you wanted to contact them, they are eager to help. A lady from the US who ordered from them was pleased with her shipment.

Have you tried nearby nurseries, too? I have gotten the best deals on peonies from nearby nurseries, especially from places with side nurseries like Canadian Tire. I bought a $5 herbaceous and $10 tree I wanted from there and both have bloomed the next year. In the beginning of the season, I've seen small peony plants for sale for $10 (not quite blooming size). Unlike in the US, Canadian mail order nurseries don't have mad end of season sales on their merchandise. The only way to get a bargain is to try general mail-order companies that happen to carry peonies. Oh, and I've bought from VanFleur. The trees were decently priced and they had a couple I couldn't find elsewhere. They weren't blooming size, but the ones I received were healthy!

I'm sure you can tell I'm a bit of a peony nut.

:)

I would love to exchange peony roots when my plants are ready for dividing, but the plants I've wanted, the people around me don't have. (I probably need to meet more people!) Anyway, I understand the desire to order by mail.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb received roots

• ianna
    9 years ago

peony envy regularly sells here and she may be in other garden shows and so it's worth a try asking her about cross border ordering. She's been featured in Martha Stewart Living btw.

• ontnative
    9 years ago

I like Nova Scotia Daylilies (Coral Kincaid) and Hawkvalley Hemerocallis Haven (Joe Hawkins). Have also ordered daylilies from Red Lane (Nancy Oakes), Rural Roots and Whitehouse Perennials.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

I haven't ordered from Ferncliff in a few years but was always happy with what they sent.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Ferncliff Gardens

• ianna
    9 years ago

I heard back from Peony Envy. One can order from them but they will only ship out in March when they bring over their supplies over the border for the next Canada Blooms. So one does not have to go to Canada Blooms to get their supplies and one does hot have to deal with those phyto.. certificates as she would have already handled all that when bringing in the supplies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peiony Envy

• yugoslava
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, Peony Envy didn't make appearance at Canada Bloom in 2015. I expected to see them. Regrettably, many other vendors were absent.

• garcanad
    9 years ago

This link at Canadian Peony Society may be useful: http://www.peony.ca/e_html/vendors.htm

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists