Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocollin

Sunflowers

ocollin
14 years ago

I've always had trouble getting sunflowers to start well

If I plant right in the soil the squirrels get the young shoots

If I start seeds indoors the get tall & spindly and fall over when I plant them out

What's the best way ?

Steve

Comments (7)

• bev_w
    14 years ago

Hi Steve,

Sunflowers, as you know, grow really quickly. So don't start them indoors too soon-- two or three weeks before plant-out is just fine. They won't have time to get spindly before they go outdoors. Don't give the seedlings any fertilizer-- maybe some kelp, but nothing high-N. Get the seedlings under some supplemental light-- a big compact fluorescent bulb in a "clamp lamp" holder will do fine. Don't use incandescent-- they give too much heat.

Here's an idea for the squirrel problem. Plant the seeds outdoors and then cover them with a piece of 1" hardware cloth held down by big rocks or some big U-shaped "staples" used for landscape cloth. You can make these out of bent coat hangers. The seeds will grow up through the mesh but critters can't dig out the roots. You'll need to cut the mesh away as the plant stems increase in girth.

If the squirrels are eating the stems as well as digging up the roots, cut the bottoms off clear plastic bottles and make "collars" for the seedlings. Plant a seed and surround it with the cylinder pushed into the soil at least an inch.

Any other suggestions out there?

• chowdhry
    14 years ago

For protection in early stages of seeds/plants sown in the garden, I use various 'cages'of different heights. Some are built with chicken fence and some with screens. You could build a wooden frame using 2x4's or make it like a roll (cylinderical) and then cover the top. Move them out when ever you want as they may look ugly. Smaller screens can stop yellow jackets or other buzzing creatures as well.

• ianna
    14 years ago

I had the same troubles before but with rabbits.

Maybe a cage made of chicken wires might work.

You are in a zone 3 is that right? So when does it get warm enough to plant outdoors and when does it get cold?

I'm thinking that because of your short season you may not have a choice but to start seeds indoors anyway. If you do, it must be about a close (maybe 2-3 weeks?) to the date warm enough for you to plant outdoors. First plant in large peat pots so you don't need to disturb the seedling when transplanting. Then you'd need to harden off the plants for a week, finally put it in the ground pot and all. At that point I'd still say protect it with a cage.

Any other ideas?

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

I've wintersown sunflowers - later in the season, of course - and they've done well. If you start them outside in a container, it should foil the squirrels and the bunnies.

• luckynes13
    14 years ago

I started my sunflowers inside today. Ruby eclipse and stella.
    I find they don't do well if I plant them directly outside. So, this year it is indoors in peat pellets.
    wish me luck.

• wendy2shoes
    13 years ago

I use wire waste paper baskets from the dollar store to protect sunny seedlings that I really want to flourish. I place the basket over them. You can even slice the bottom out of the basket so your plants can just keep on growing until they're so tough no-one wants to nibble.
    Funny how all the sprouts from the bird feeder are ignored, but your "Italian Whites" suddenly become the most tastiest sprouts!

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I winter sowed mine Mar. 20 and they have been up for about a week. I never had much luck with them inside either so I tried w/s. I leave them in a protected area until they are about 6" and then they go into the garden. Winter sown seedlings are stronger and healthier than ones grown inside. Marg

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia