Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desperately Seeking (Egyptian) Shallots. Are they all gone?

Posted by merricat Zone 3a Canada (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 29, 09 at 18:00

Hello, folks.

It's me. I've been gone (for the past couple of years in fact)and unable to garden much. Parkinsons really bites. But I'm going back into the garden, even if it weeding in a *#(*&!! wheelchair. So THERE!

One plant I've very much want is the Egyptian Shallot. AKA "Walking Onion." We had a big patch here when we bought the house, and we were happy to give away the bulbets (bulbettes?) to anyone who asked. They thrived for years.

THEN my neighbor used an herbicide (on his side of the fence - he's not mean, just a little clueless), and it turned out to be one that sort of "travelled" through the soil (not sure how that works). The end result was the end of my onions - nothing left but mush and rot and very dead husks. And I haven't been able to find them since.

I know there are several things that they call "walking onion", but these are....hmmm....well, a picture's probably the best way to go:

I hope these links work:

http://z.about.com/d/gardening/1/0/5/8/OnionEgyptianWalking.jpg

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/45333/

I see these places call it "Egyptian Walking Onion". What's in a name? Great confusion, apparently.

Any ideas? They're perennial, a lovely shallot-like taste, super-hardy (except to harsh chemicals)....and nowhere to be found.

All help much appreciated. :)

Hello,

Merricat / Bettina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desperately Seeking (Egyptian) Shallots. Are they all gone?

UPDATE: Someone said "Go to Burpees, they have them."

Yeah. They do. Along with 1) the notice that "these are not available at this time, and 2) the fact that they "don't ship nursery stock outside the continental US."

Great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpees type

o

I have them. Also Richters carries them. I bought mine from them few years ago. You are so right. Spreads everywhere.

o

YAY! At least I know of a commercial source IN CANADA now. Thank you thank you!

Your page says you're in a zone 6. Er...would you perhaps be willing to part with a bulbil or three for my zone 3a (Alberta) garden? I'd be happy to send a SASE, or perhaps I have something YOU'D like? I'm afraid my garden is a bit common now (except for tomatoes...I'm an Heirloom Tomato nut), but I do have the general niceties - you know, Jacob's Ladder, Columbines (several colours), sweet william (a few colours), that sort of thing.

Please drop me a line if you're at all interested. And THANK YOU again for the site! :)

o

Merricat, If you don't have any luck finding Egyptian onions I might still have them, problem is I was renewing a bed in the fall, dug both the Egyptian and another perennial onion up. They sat all winter in a pile so don't know which is which. I'll have to grow them on to tell the difference.
To make a long story short, email me through my members page later on if you can't find a source, if I still have them I will gladly send you some.

Annette

o

I grow lots of Egyptian walking onions and would gladly send you some for a SASE if you haven't got any yet. I'm in zone 5b in Ontario. Check out my website and see the ones I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Egyptian Walking Onions

o

Thank you both, aftermidnight and craftygardener. I've been going all over the 'net (and the city and surrounding towns), and every commercial place has either "export restrictions" or they just plain don't carry them.

I just don't understand why they're so hard to find!

This time I'll make sure that bed is sacrosanct, so I can always have some to offer to other onion-hunters.

o

I've replied back to your email with details etc. of where to send the SASE Looking forward to hearing from you and getting your envelope.

o

I also replied to your email, we'll stay in touch.

Annette

o

I am so sorry. I didn't look at your posting since I wrote about having walking onion. I would have been very happy to send you some. I see others have responded. Good!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here