Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgtjuggy

Bamboo in a narrow area

sgtjuggy
12 years ago

I have an area that is about 1' wide with cement on one aide and the fwnce on te other. It is about15' long against my back fence. The fence is 5' high and does not offer enough privacy. My neighbours window is right there as is their porch and they look right into our backyard. Bamboo has been recommended to me but I would like to know if it would work here. I don't have any problem digging down and installing a barrier and all I know is that the clumping variety would be the best.

Does anybody have any ideas? First if it would work and secondly what kind would be best in this area?

Finally does anybody know where I could get these plants.

I would like something that grows at least 10' high

I do have a picture of the area if you would like me to email that

I am a new member and this is my first post so I appreciate any and every feedback that I could get

Thanks in advance

Comments (8)

• User
    12 years ago

Hi,

I've done some internet snooping. First thing you have to consider is your garden zone for Windsor is zone 3.

It appears to me that bamboo is not cheap so I would recommend contacting some nurseries recommended in the link below. Be specific about your winter temperatures. Find out if any bamboo will grow in your zone 3 and if so - do they die down in the cold winter months? If they do then you will not have a tall bamboo plant as wanted.

Welcome to Garden Web forums. I hope you enjoy the posts.

Cheers,
    Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: University of British Columbia

• ianna
    12 years ago

I agree with Peggy here. Bamboo isn't your solution. It will die down in your zone. Besides bamboo is the world's largest grass and so it sheds its leaves in winter, hence you won't get the privacy you need.

I have the same troubles you have. My neighbor's deck and window looks directly into my backyard. My solution was to erect a trellis. Just a large thick beams set set on posts. This plus a vine can block the view of your neighbor. There are many vines that will do the trick. The only thing though is the only evergreen vine I know is the euonymous but I don't think it can live in your zone. Try searching for vines that can develop wooden stems which can too provide privacy in winter. Avoid wisterias though which can be too aggressive.

Here is a link that might be useful: examples

• User
    12 years ago

Hi Sgtjuggy,

I'm curious on your thoughts about your situation. Is there any thing you want to throw out here for ideas or more thoughts? I'd love to know what you decide upon and how it turns out for you. I do hope you'll keep talking with us. We would love to help if we can.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• cameron_ns
    12 years ago

mcpeg, I'm curious to what you mean by zone 3 for Windsor. From what I know, the city of Windsor can range between a zone 6a and 7a.

Sgtjuggy, I am in a zone 6b and am growing a few species of bamboo. If your area gets enough sun, then perhaps Phyllostachys bissetii would be a good choice for you. You will have some leaf and culm dieback during the first couple of winters, but after that, it should do well. If you're looking at a clumping variety like Fargesia, they would prefer a bit more shade, and will be slower to reach 10' tall.

Cameron.

• User
    12 years ago

Yes - you are right. I got wrong information from one website. When I checked the Lawn & Garden info on the weather network it is zone 6b.

Thanks for catching this.

Does the bamboo in this zone die back to the ground or grow tall?

Here is a link that might be useful: Windsor - the Weather Network

• ianna
    12 years ago

In that case check Ontario Bamboo. 905 741 2323 or info@ontariobamboo.com. They were charging $35 per plant at the Canada Blooms show.

Never use a non-clumping bamboo as the invasive types are hard to control.

I still think though that this will not effectively give you the privacy you need - especially in winter. one thing about bamboos is taht they do die back. So their foliage disappears during winter. They tend to shed leaves a lot.

• luckynes13
    12 years ago

I planted a crabapple tree to get some privacy from my nosey neighbours. Works. You feed the birds too.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    12 years ago

Windsor is an ideal climate for bamboo. Many varieties will remain evergreen. You would probably want a clumping bamboo b/c the root barrier idea is a pain in the ass and the space is so small.

The height you require though, makes it more difficult and clumping bamboos tend to arch.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services