Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shapiro_gw

Plant orders from outside Canada??

shapiro
16 years ago

Have you ever ordered plants from outside Canada? Was it difficult, complicated, did you have to fill out lots of forms? Did you have to place a minimum order? Would appreciate your story. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Over the years I've done some importing of different types of plants, Michaelmas Daisies from England, Begonia and Dahlia tubers, Fuchsias and Chrysanthemums from the states. I've also ordered from Logee's. I had the plants from Logee's within a week in great condition but Logee's sent them through a broker and that was another $12 or $13 brokerage fee. A minimum Logee order in 97 was $200 US.
    Some plants you need to get an import permit for ($35 & it's good for three years) others you don't have to have a permit only the phytosanitary certificate, all plants have to have the phyto. This varies anywhere from $5-$35 in my case from the states much more from England.
    All plants etc. have to have that phyto with them when they go through plant inspection at the border. The plant inspectors are a good lot but understaffed IMO, they do the best they can at moving things along but there are delays and fresh plant material does suffer. DO NOT HAVE YOUR PLANTS SHIPPED NEAR A HOLIDAY WEEKEND. I fell into this trap once and the plants were mush when I finally got them.
    Will I order from the states again, probably, but it's a good idea for a bunch to get together and share the cost of phyto, shipping etc. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet if it's those plants you just have to have.
    If it's something you have to have an import permit for I think you can download an application form from the Dept. of Agriculture and some where they also have a list of what you do and don't have to have an import permit for. Hope this is of some help.

A......

• shapiro
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dear After: Thank you so much for the detailed information - which I appreciate very much!

• jaro_in_montreal
    16 years ago

In some cases, you can order from outside Canada through a local distributor.
    That's actually the easiest way to go by far, since the distributor takes care of the red tape.
    One such example is Iseli nursery in Oregon, which distributes through a network that includes Canadian reps (see link below).
    I also have a couple of import permits -- for those cases where you just can't get the plants you want any other way.
    Good luck in your hunting....

Here is a link that might be useful: Iseli distributors

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

It's much cheaper if you can go in with a group order, you'll save on the phytosanitary certificate. I've order Irises from the states in a group order.

Sharon

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Certain large rose places in Canada will ship to the States. But it does not seem to be the case the other way around. I am guessing that Canada does not want some of the rose pests and diseases that are not up here yet. You'd think a phyto would take care of that but...

• plantenthusiast_2008
    16 years ago

shapiro,

Many mail order & online nurseries do ship to Canada, and I think that you will find that each one has a different minimum order and policy. I have ordered successfully from a number of various companies. Don't forget that you may have to pay duties on goods coming into Canada.

All plants entering Canada require a Phytosanitary Certificate, which varies in cost, and is arranged by the company from which you order, and is performed by the country's agricultural department (in the US, this would be the USDA, and vice versa in Canada, this is the CFIA). Different plants have different requirements for import; it also varies by country of origin. Some plants are also restricted by CITES, so you would also need to check with them to see if any of the plants that you are ordering are on the list (although it is unlikely).

http://www.cites.org/

Some plants will need an import permit and again, it varies as to where they are coming from (country of export, and country of propagation), which can be obtained from the CFIA. *Please note that import requirements can vary by province. Below is a link with information regarding plant import permits:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/oper/appdeme.shtml

I believe that this is the phone number for the permit office: 1-613-221-3835

It can seem like a daunting process, but if you get in touch with the CFIA, they will be able to assist you. Once you have done it once, it is a breeze. I have to say, many of the plants that you will find elsewhere are available in Canada, so it is easiest just to search around first. Best of luck,

-Plantenthusiast

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

If you get plants and seeds from a private indivual, like an exchange from GW, you don't need all those things. I've traded from countries all over the world for years and never had a problem, as long as it's maked "Gift" so they don't open it at the border to determine how much duty you have to pay.

You just can't send anything to the US. You have to send an SASE or something that's not a plant or seed in trade.

• plantenthusiast_2008
    16 years ago

Shapiro,

Order seeds from abroad are simple for Canada; you shouldn't need any sort of paperwork.

Plants and plant material are a controlled item by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. The Phytosanitary Certificate and permit measures are in place to keep out foreign agricultural pests that can enter Canada via plant material. It doesn't make any difference whether you are ordering from a company or exchanging privately with other individuals. This is an important measure, and should be followed in order to deter invasive pests that can be harmful to wild plant life, agricultural crops, and your own garden plants as well.

If your package does get opened at the border and you do not have the necessary documents, then your plants will be destroyed, without compensation.

I should mention that it is far easier to order plants from the US that from anywhere overseas. Often times you only need a Phytosanitary Certificate, and not an import permit. So it is really not hard, and you don't risk losing any plants this way. It is also very simple for individuals to get Phytosanitary Certificates (and usually fairly inexpensive for small lots of plants), it is not limited to businesses.

Best of luck with the plant search,

-Plantenthusiast