Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Castor Bean Plants: Where to Purchase in Toronto, ON

Posted by meaghan_gardener ON (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 14, 09 at 21:11

Hi, all,

I'm wondering where I can purchase a castor bean plant. I reside in Toronto, ON.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Castor Bean Plants: Where to Purchase in Toronto, ON

Just buy some beans! You can buy Castor beans everywhere - Wally world, HD, online at William Dam seeds and many other places. The seeds germinate quickly and within a week you will have a little castor bean plant!

Here is a link that might be useful: William Dam seeds - Ricinus - Castor Bean

o

Yes indeed - I get mine at Can Tire... and I have had good plants for the last 2 years.

I do have significant die off, maybe I am not caring enough, but out of 12 seeds I usually have 3 large plants by the end of the season. They are started indoors, 5-6 sprout, and 4-5 make it into the ground in spring.

If anyone sees interesting varieties in the Windsor Area - please let me know!

o

Hi Meaghan Gardener.
Castor Bean Plants you also can get at Plant World-4000 Eglinton Avenue West.Only I am not sure if they sale seeds.
Have a pleasant gardening season.
Hala.

o

And just a word of caution. Castor Bean is a very poisonous plant and so handle with great care.

o

If you want seeds, buy it on ebay from "seedsandmoore", it ships quickly. If you want plants, check humber nursery toronto.( largest nursery in ontario )

You want the tallest...zanzibariensis
The dark purple called new zealand purple

o

You would have to ingest the seed for it to be toxic - I have never heard or read of any toxicity reported with handling the seed - an animal or a human would have to ingest the seed (and a few seeds) to get enough toxic ricin. There have been reports of children dying after eating 2-4 seeds.

o

Hey Meaghan,

I might be starting some for the Brampton spring swap...will you be going?

s

o

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 18:03

The link given above should read "seedsandmore", ... one less "o". There are some neat offerings there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedsandmore

o

Thx for the correction jroot

o

• Posted by mari11 z5a Toronto (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 16:57

Hi Meaghan,
I can share with you these beans, I have lots of them. I don't know what's cheaper and more convenient : buy seeds in store or send me SASE (bubble). If you decide to contact me, use this email: marina12 @ rogers.com.

o

hi,i live in lakeland, florida 33805. where can i purchase castor bean plants in any nursery in the united states please. iam looking for maroon, purple, blue etc. thank you very much, rennea and james burgess. 863-683-8711.

o

Chickiegirl. we are not familiar with nurseries in the States. This is a fairly easy plant to locate and I suggest you begin with the yellow pages for local nurseries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here