Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thorngrower

help picking a hardy red climber

Hi all:

need to find a Hardy red climbing rose. any suggestions would be appreciated..So far i've looked into Don juan, all that jazz, red fountain, and dizzy heights, any comments on these or other red climbers is appreciated......I already grow john cabot its more a large shrub and not really red more fushia.............

Comments (14)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    17 years ago

How about Dublin Bay, I think it's hardy to zone 5.

A......

• marricgardens
    17 years ago

I grow 'Blaze' on an arbor at the farm in Z5a and it does quite nicely when Wicked Wee Willy doesn't chew on it. I remember Ken Beatty always said it was one of the hardiest red climbers that would even survive the prairie winters. That's the main reason I bought it. Any rabbit solutions anyone? My aussie can only catch so many! Marg

• jroot
    17 years ago

My Blaze did wonderfully here in zone 5B for the first year. Then next year, it was a single white which only bloomed for 2 days. It appears the root stock took over, and the blaze part died off. Hopefully there is something hardier than the Blaze.......and rabbit proof, as well. LOL

• leo_prairie_view
    17 years ago

We can't grow climbing roses here but I keep day dreaming and wishing. 'Ramblin Red' looks to me like it might be what you are looking for.
    Leo

Here is a link that might be useful: Ramblin Red

• cziga
    17 years ago

We have Don Juan in our yard, but I can't say much about it as it was planted last summer. Only thing I can tell you is that it looks pretty hardy. Its not in a great location, not too sheltered, and he has not only survived, but looks nice and healthy. He got no winter protection even though it was his first winter, and he still looks pretty good. Like he's gearing up to get started growing.
    I'm impressed. We'll see how tall he gets.

• abrodie
    17 years ago

Dortmund does really well for me in years where the bunnies aren't too active.

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was thinking don juan but pickering is sold out :

• marricgardens
    17 years ago

I also have Don Juan in my Z5a garden. It has only just hung on for 4 years. I've moved it to a more sheltered spot hoping it does come back. I think the flowers are gorgeous. At the nursery where I bought it, just a few minutes from where the farm is, they told me it was very hardy in that area. Hah! My Blaze also had the root stock start to take over but I cut out the new growth with a shovel and it seems to be fine now. Marg

Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again everyone for your help..I placed my order at pickering this afternoon..Had a few dead roses over the winter, so i ordered Mme hardy, Charles de mills, celestial, climber illusion and quadra (explorer) thanks again....
    mark..

• Celtic_Rose
    16 years ago

I just saw this post and wanted to say that I think you will be pleased with Illusion. The blooms are very pretty - 4 inches in diameter. They grow in clusters so the "show" is quite nice. Mine has no fragrance but is more disease resistant than other roses. It does need to be sprayed, though, in our zone 5. You could probably get away with not spraying it as often. This rose is VERY winter hearty. I hardly had to cut off anything this year! The repeat is not great so far but the first flush lasts quite awhile. It's a sturdy grower but not overly vigorous. It would grow nicely on an arbor.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks celtic rose, I was really hoping that illusion won't need spraying. I don't spray so we'll see what happens.. If i might ask what do you use when you spray??..mark

• clairabelle
    16 years ago

http://www.justourpictures.com/roses/altissimo.html

http://www.justourpictures.com/roses/dynamite.html

Hope this helps. I also just recently purchased Louis Joliet, red climber, zone 4

• clairabelle
    16 years ago

Or how about Henry Kelsey or Quadra climbers in the Explorer Series?
    Both hardy and disease resistant

• RG100
    16 years ago

I grew Crimson Cascade. It is winter hardy and has red hybrid tea type roses. Very disease resistant- available at sheridan nurseries.