Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

Yucca from seed?

marricgardens
17 years ago

I was wondering about starting some Yucca from seed. I have 'Golden Sword' and would like a few more. I did some research and learned that the seeds are flattish and black. If anyone started these before, how did you start them? When is the best time to collect the seeds? Do they need a cold period? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Marg

Comments (8)

• cypsavant
    16 years ago

I've had very limited experience with only one species, yucca filamentosa, or Adam's Needle...as far as I know, Golden Sword is a cultivar of that species. I have no idea if the cultivar would come true from seed, but I'd be inclined to doubt it.
    The seeds don't need cold treatment and sprout after a few weeks at warm...germination rates are pretty high. Use a well drained mix and surface sow, covering lightly.
    The plants aren't super fast growing, but they are pretty tough little customers.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info cypsavant. I want to collect seeds this fall and give it a try anyway. It will be interesting to see what I do get from seed. I wouldn't mind green ones at all. Marg

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Marg,

I winter sowed Hesperaloe Parviflora, a red bloomer. Seeds were sent to me from a trader in the US who has winter sown them before, although he stated they did not require a cold period. He did however say that they are really sloooowwwww to grow. :O)

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Tiffy. I wonder if they would be suitable for wintersowing? If I get enough seeds, I'll give it a try. I didn't realize there were red bloomers (sorry). I'll have to look for seeds or even a plant. Marg

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Marg,

I didn't realize there were red ones either until I saw this trader's list. I have the regular white one although it's never flowered for me. Maybe this year.

Hopefully I'll remember this post and if they germinate I'll let you know if they are OK to winter sow.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tiffy: My 'Golden Sword' is a white flowering variety. It was already about 1' high when we bought it. It flowered the second year we had it. It also had several babies the next year. I emailed Heritage Perennials about them and they said it would take 2-5 years for the babies to flower. Just thought you'd like to know. Marg

• speediebean
    12 years ago

Good morning! I notice that this is an old 'thread', but I'm hoping some of you who've had success with Yucca's can help me out please. I collected a few seeds from a plant at work and I'm hoping to WS them. Are they ok to winter sow, or should I hold onto them until Spring and try it then?
    Meanwhile, Tiffy, how's yours coming along? Do you still have that red one? That sounds lovely! The seeds I have are from a plain ol' boring ... errrr... Adam's Needle, I think.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    12 years ago

Hesperaloe parviflora (Red Yucca) is a lovely plant but not suited to zone 5 or 6 in Ontario (probably similar story for NS). I've tried (as have others) and it appears that the much wetter winters (relative to the native range) and frozen soil either kill them or set them back to almost nothing every spring. I gave up after 3 years and saved the sliver that survived. It grows (& flowers) in a clay pot that I store in a cool location for the winter.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!