Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cedar hedge won't grow

Posted by octapuss toroto (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 8:32

i have planted white cedar along my property two summers ago. They are about five feet high and moderately filled out. i have fertilized them in september and may for the past year. As i patiently wait this spring i have not seen any new growth? Am i being impatient? IS there something i am not doing right? Any tips out there? I was told that these cedars grow fast and would be great for make a hedge along the property line.

thanks for the input!

greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cedar hedge won't grow

Check for disease. These do grow but in spurts. Be patient. If it is healthy, then there's no problem. Continue to water well. Do not over fertilize which can cause chemical root burns. Most especially don't fertilize on hot dry days. Top dress with some mulching and perhaps some composted manure and these trees will flourish.

Ianna

o

thanks for the response.... i have covered with mulch, to retain moisture in the summer months.... i just thought after two springs i would see some new growth.... will have to be patient!

o

Water, water, water. My cedars grow fast in wet clay soil but so slow in sandier dry soil.

o

But don't over water. I've lost a cedar due to it getting water logged becuase rainwater from a neighbor's downspout drowned it.

o

Look at it his way. Once established to your desired height, the slow growth will be a positive point requiring less trimming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here