Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn

Posted by nico6196 Guelph (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 8:34

I know this time and late fall are the best times to top dress/seed a lawn but I was wondering how long does it need to be protected after seeding? We have a 22 month old that may trample it, so I thought I would ask if this should be avoided and for how long?

BTW - I have been picking dandelions out of my front lawn for a week and a half now. New ones "seem" to be popping up every day. How fast do dandelions grow? Or am I just missing them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn

Give it 2 weeks. And in case where you have bare spots, I would recommend reseeding again in 2 weeks. Seeds need to be cool in order to germinate which is why summer is not a good time for seeding.

As for dandelions. There are several ways to handle them.

I have a tool that helps me remove the entire plant, roots and all because it will resprout even with the tiniest bit of root left.

I also use boiling water to kill the plant. I do this several times more in the following weeks in case the plant sprouts again.

Or last resort, is to use round up to kill off the weed.

I also minimize dandelions from starting out by debudding the plant so it doesn't get a chance to bloom and to form seeds.

Ianna

o

I have noticed that I haven't been able to remove the root all the time. Would pouring boiling water over the root be helpful or what about pouring vinegar over the root?

o

I would suggest to water the grounds well if you are trying to pry the plant out roots and all. It helps to loosen the soil and increases your chance to remove the plant whole.

If you are trying to use the HOT liguid method (water or water/vinegar method) - do not water the lawn beforehand (and thus strengthening the weed). Thoroughly drench the plant with the hot liquid. Later remove the dead portions of the plant and once again repeat the process.

Ianna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here