Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckynes13

What have you done so far this spring?

luckynes13
13 years ago

I have gone into full garden mode and am wondering what other Canadians are up too in the garden?

This is what I am up to.

I have two heated trays for starting seeds in.

A grow light stand we put together this year. $20 metal shelf and 4 sets of two lights. We have a total of 6 seed tray full of plants at all times. As a 9 pack cell of plants get to big, I transplant them into bigger containers and the cell pack gets new seeds in it.

All the larger plants are put into south facing windows.

When they get to big for the windows, they start getting hardened off and put outside every morning.

My cold weather crop may start to get put outside? In the ground, possibly under a portable green house. Have not decided.

My soil is sandy loam so it dries out quick, so I can dig now if I want. Tilling the soil is good because it kills overwintering bugs.

I did plant some peas outside yesterday.

That is pretty well it for now I think.

Comments (20)

• ysabelknits
    13 years ago

We planted peas yesterday as well! :) I can't wait for things to start growing again. We cleaned up the flower beds and the hostas are starting to peak through the soil and the peonies are starting to show.

• luckynes13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have seen peonies at my moms house, but they always show up later here. It is supposed to get cold on friday so things can take their time. I am glad my plum trees aren't blooming yet.
    But the forsythias are blooming.
    I also set up a mini greenhouse in the backyard.

• ljpother
    13 years ago

Sprouts under lights and in the unheated greenhouse.

Pulled mulch off flower beds. I'll be putting this back soon.

Started lettuce, spinach, and swiss chard in containers.

Planted peas and leek transplants.

I tend to clean up as I plant. I never get far ahead.

• mitanoff
    13 years ago

Started:

• Tomatoes

• Watermelon

• SweetPeas

• Various Daylily crosses

• Brussels Sprouts

Am about to clean up old perennial leaves. . was wondering if there would be another frost as I would hate to have the daylilies that are sprouting get another frost without protection. Everything is starting to sprout now! Very cool! I have a small plastic greenhouse (maybe 2'x 3'x 2'H) that I was considering using to keep my plants outside . .. just worried that it might be too cold still . .

• luckynes13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My portable greenhouse is 4'X 5'in a tent form, I have put some of my cold weather plants in it.this would be bok choy, cauliflower leeks, onion and have been holding off on the more tender plants. BUT on Friday we are supposed have a cold smell, maybe snow north of us, or even us. So I think everything that isn't in the ground will be brought inside for precautionary measures.
    However today a lot of my plants are outside, the ones I don't have room for in my south windows anymore. Looks like they will spend Friday in the shop.
    Peas can handle a little cold hopefully and I didn't plant them all.
    so just keep an eye out on the weather and maybe we will be lucky.

• sorellina
    13 years ago

Ciao all-

Seedlings under lights:

Peppers started January
    Eggplants started March
    Silly number of brassicas started March: 3 types of kales, rainbow chard, brussels sprouts, ruby pac choi, giant red mustard, tatsoi - kales transplanted outside
    Leeks started March - transplanted outside
    Basils started March
    Sweet Peas started March
    Okra started April

Seeds started:

Tomatoes just sown yesterday, 1/2 of total, 2nd half to be sown next week

Direct-sowed with row covers on stand-by:

Snow Peas - now up
    Snap Peas - now up
    Rainbow Beets
    Rainbow Carrots
    Rainbow Radishes
    Red Seas Lettuce
    Daikon Radishes

Over-wintered stuff coming up:

Treviso Radicchio
    White Onions

To do this weekend:

Prune fruit trees
    Trim dead parts of perennial herbs and compost
    Transplant sweet peas
    Finish transplanting brassicas
    Add finished compost to raised beds

• ontnative
    13 years ago

I have rough-pruned all my perennials (except butterfly bushes) and generally tidied up all the gardens. I only remove mulch if it seems too heavy in a particular area, and even then I only spread it more evenly over the bed. My mulch is mostly pine needles, oak leaves, dried plant stems and homemade compost, so once I put it on it stays until it decomposes. I can't believe how fast all the bulbs and perennials are coming up. It probably means a short bloom season for some of them. My wintersown trays are just starting to show green with sprouts, so I check them every day or two. Almost all are perennials, so I'm not expecting fast growth. No vegetables for me, just flowers and a couple of shrubs.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Well, back at the beginning of Feb, a lady advertised daylily clumps for sale on our kijiji site, and so a friend and myself decided that 12 kinds of daylilies for $5/each was a good deal and we would split them(originally 6&6) but as we got there, the gal said $2/a clump and they were Huge clumps, I also got much more plants from her, hostas, roses, strawberries, hardy geranuims, sheesh, so much I forget all, oh, ornamental grasses(Tons of everything)!!! So we split the daylilies, hostas, grasses (3 ways- another friend wanted some) and I ended up with at least 100+plants/$100!!!! So I have been digging beds and planting up a storm!!! Plus I topdressed some beds as I went, with fish compost, dug out a 6x10x4ft deep pond, fixed burst irrigation pipes...all before my hysterectomy surgery(mar26th) so am happy to see the 65plants I planted, all doing good and able to breath a sigh of relief that I got some of these in the ground...gotta love buying from fellow gardeners!!! I have 1/2acre to fill up and am scrambling to do it on a non existant budget!! I am using the fish compost and coconut coir to plant with, did this last yr and everything survived a severe watering restriction...I have like another 80 plants to get in the ground...keep buying stuff...I'm powerless!!! Have 7 dahlias started in pots(4 have sprouted)AND my first trip out into the world after my surgery(day 13-cabin fever) and my gal pal took me to a gals house I had heard about(word of mouth) who has a community garden plant sale...and bought a potato vine, and other stuff I already forget the names...and she gave me 2 slips of 2 different clematis vines to try and root...I have never done this before, so will be interesting if I can pull it off....she had 2 kinds of bamboo(2gal pots) for $10/each, but with my surgery I can't lift them...hopefully they will be there in a few weeks...hmmm!!!! Ya, I started Spring Fever early this yr....and now the weather has changed and it seems colder than in feb!!!! I do want to try veggies and also annual flowers this yr...have been sticking to perrenial flowers, sheesh, this gardening stuff can really take over your life!!!ha! I used to only have house plants(about 200)and then I decided to try outside gardening(indoor>you water once a week, no weeding....outside...what!!! All this weeding?!?!!!)lol! Now I have about 10 houseplants....can't do both!lol! Fenced my yard last yr cuz of the deer and now I have my DOMAIN!!!hahahahahaha! Evil/gleeful laugh!!!!

• luckynes13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Calamity,
    I could tell by the posting you were on Vancouver Island. Oh so jealous! my daughter lives there.
    Take it easy with your recovery,
    I couldn't even dream of planting in the ground in Feb. in SW Ontario. You will have to post pictures and share.

• sheryl_ontario
    13 years ago

I planted peas too. Yesterday I direct planted lettuces, spinach, radishes and green onions. I may put a heavy plastic cover on them with the cold weather this weekend, but if they are not up yet, it won't hurt them.

I transplanted the rhubarb and red raspberries into their permanent home where I have started a berry/fruit bed for wine making, etc.

I am planning on starting my new and unusual annual seeds in flats soon, hopefully next week after I put all my veggie seedlings outside in the cold frame. I am waiting until after the severly cold temps coming in the next week. I have a kitchen full of seedlings and plants waiting to go outside.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Country DIY Blog

• ianna
    13 years ago

I started most of a number of tomato varieties, eggplants, peppers, basils, annuals in March. This month, I began to propagate succulents. I also cleaned up the yard, pruned the shrubs, reseeded the lawns, set up the patio, pulled back the mulch, etc... I have also tranplanted some plants and discarded many. I've 2 tables filled with seedlings waiting to be transferred to larger containers. My bay tree is now outside. I think though that I may have to bring it back inside at least for a couple of days. I heard there's going to be a dip in temperatures tomorrow.

• bev_w
    13 years ago

The garden is an absolute mess. I've cut down most of the perennials (except Buddleia) and removed most of the mulch. But I've left the "trimmings" in piles all over the yard. My regular young garden helper is not available this year, it appears. I may have to do this work all by myself(!)

Tomatoes and peppers and lettuce are under the lights. Kale seedlings were planted out two days ago. Peas won't pop up until after this (potential) frost tomorrow.

Still starting seeds, mostly "easy warm" annuals. The cold frame is full, so is the sunroom. The small greenhouse will be ready when the seedlings need potting up.

This morning I fertilized the Eremurus, which are about 4" high. These'll need to be covered if this frost warning holds.

Most of the self-seeded "babies" out there are becoming recognizable now. Next week I'll be potting them up for plant sales and swaps.

One more day of cold-and-wet, then the "real" season begins!

• sheryl_ontario
    13 years ago

I will probably attempt to get the carrots in the planted this afternoon, if it is not raining. It rained softly all day yesterday, so the garden is probably too wet now :-(

• luckynes13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone get snow last night? City TV said they were getting North of Toronto. We are currently sitting at 0 celius. : (

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

Glad to read about everyones gardening adventures so far this spring. What a great post. It sure makes me realize how different our climates are here in Canada. I do enjoy reading about the weather conditions other places and their gardening challenges or advantages!
    We had lovely weather last week. I cleaned up all my gardens-removed leaves and other plant debris I leave on to hold the snow there as long as possible. Got the back yard raked and picked up spruce cones out front.
    I have checked out all my daylilies and pruned my clematis. I put in 6 new clems last fall that were on half price from garden import. At least 4 are coming - one not coming and can't remember where I put the 6th! I've checked out what new signs I need but the ground was still a bit frozen for changing them last week.
    This week has been wet and I haven't gotten too much done. Now it is just below freezing and I hope everything is okay. We did have a bit of snow last night - just a bit of powder here and there but there is more coming down now. This is supposed to last until tomoorow and then warm up a bit. I only covered a tree peony my daughter gave me for Mother's day last spring. It has come out in bud and I hope it is okay.
    I have all of my daylily seedlings out on my porch in their covered green house shelves. They got booted out of the basement on April 1st.I lucked out at walmart last fall and bought 5 shelf units for $15 each. I had one last year and it worked great. I just zipped up the plastic cover if it was cold or too windy. I will see what the temp goes down to tonight before deciding if they should come in the garage. I hope not -they are a pain to move now.
    Yesterday I potted up a bunch of Liliums I had bought that were starting to sprout. I was hoping to just put them in the ground and I should have on Saturday but we were seeding on our farm and I had to work. It's too wet now.
    I have a bunch of seeds wintersowed that are coming up but they are still in their pots and covered fairly well. They will be fine in this weather.
    Looking forward to digging up a bunch of old daylilies and splitting them next week when it is warm again. Also finding any other extra perennials to pot up for our Hort Society plant sale.
    It's good to be getting outside more and seeing the green! Enjoy!

• luckynes13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think everyone got that rain. It is supposed to be rain/flurries here today. Haven't been able to do anything outside for the last week. But I did dig up and give away some mint, tansy and wormwood,Tthey love to self sow, so I always have planty to share. I always let their new caretakers know of this attrubute, plus bestowing their virtues.

All my daffodils are in bloom now.

• ianna
    13 years ago

I listened to the weather forecast late last night and decided to bring in my bay tree which had been outside on my porch for a week now. It's going to dip below zero tonight and it seems the next two week's temperatures will only be a slight improvement :-((

• pawsntails
    13 years ago

I have a bunch of seedlings under lights, some I started to late :( But its my first time so its a learning experience this year.

My fiance made me 2, 3FT high raised garden beds this weekend, I CANNOT wait to plant in the, but its been coooold, windy and rainy here lately.

I used and old horse trough, and filled it so its like a little raised bed for my strawberrys. I dug out my old strawberrys and put in all new ones.

I cleaned my perenial beds and planted a couple pansies, and waiting for all my millions of johny jump ups to bloom :)

My tulips are all the way up, just waiting for them to boom :)

Thats what I have done this year so far :)

• ljpother
    13 years ago

We had a blizzard last night. Sleety snow blowing sideways. It stayed above 0 C, but that is expected to change as the week progresses. They are forecasting -7 C. It will be interesting to see what happens in the green house. It does alright if the days are sunny but the overcast days, +5 C, don't build up a lot of heat to carry it through the night.

• luckynes13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well it is warming up a little here. Looks like the nights will still be cold.
    So I got up the rake and raked out a raised bed and under a couple of my apple trees yesterday.
    In the house I transplanted some tomato seedings into bigger pots and planted some digitalis in the seed trays.
    I have decided to offer some of my tomato plants for sale as starter plants, so I advertised this on kijiji and cheapcycle.
    Can't hurt to try.
    Today I am thinking about planting my Montreal melon seeds.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area