Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping dog out of garden

Posted by nico6196 Guelph (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 8:38

We have a large german shepherd that lives in the backyard year round. We have been unable to keep him out of the border garden that goes around the whole backyard (there are two other dogs both behind us and beside us - so he's often in the gardens). I've given up hope for most of the garden but we want to plan some cedars in a couple of weeks (to provide a privacy screen) and I want to make sure he doesn't come near them (his urine has killed pretty much every other evergreen in our garden). Any ideas on a really good barrier? Any good barriers that aren't visually disgusting (will still but up a really ugly one if it means we save the cedars)? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping dog out of garden

Hi, Is it possible to fence it off? There are nice alumnimum rail type fencing available and these are usually cheap. If fencing is not an option, there's a plant called SCAT DOG which if planted every 3 feet (according to the seller) will deter dogs because dogs cannot stand the smell. This is available from Richters by the way.

Ianna

o

A nice short picket fence would look good and deter him, maybe, if he's not a jumper.

o

I keep my rose canes and place them around the garden for 'all' animals in my garden, I find it a natural way... I don't have to keep re-applying and you can't notice them in the garden.... just have to remember when you go to weed that they are there! It has kept my rotti's out of my beds so its worked for me :))

o

I have the same problem with my boxer. She gets in our back garden when the dogs behind us come out to do their thing. Her nose has to be in the fence. LOL She gets muddy paws and comes in the house...nice on the carpet if I don't catch her. I'm wondering if perhaps those citronella plants at Zehrs/Loblaws/Superstore will work...isn't it used in those barking collars?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here