Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
McPeg--sweet cicely

Posted by greylady-gardener 6/5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 8:53

**I posted this in an old thread of yours in the WS forum but wasn't sure that you were there much, so am re-posting it here.**

Hi Peggy,
I wanted to let you know that I have sprouts of sweet ciciely!! I can't believe it. I WS them last year after you sent them to me and they never sprouted. Well I left the container and never dumped it out last year and I am so glad I did. When checking the containers while doing a clean up the other day I noticed green sprouts with big seed coverings hanging on the end of some of the first leaves that come out. I wasn't sure if they weren't seeds from the japanese ivory silk lilac that is nearby so I double checked today, what the sweet cicely seeds look like and sure enough that is what they are. Today one of them is getting a tiny true leaf. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: McPeg--sweet cicely

Thanks for posting the info.
I tossed the jugs after there were no sprouts.
I have more seeds,but will keep jugs through a second winter this time.
Caroline

o

Excellent news! I'm thrilled and happy to hear you kept the seeds still. As I mentioned last year I purchased the plants from Ritchers for our new home and they are sprouting this year. It's their second year so I'm hoping to have seeds to share again (I haven't forgotten I want to send you some more fresh seeds). I'm thrilled for you. They are such beautiful plants.

They do well in moist areas with shade I have found. Dry, full sun areas can kill them.

Exciting news all round, eh?

Whoo hoo you're a Mama now! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the news. How exciting!

Cheers,
Peggy

o

Very exciting, Peg! I couldn't believe it. Usually the green that shows up in my old containers is just weeds, which is what I thought it was when I first saw it. Good job it still had the seed coat hanging on the end of the leaf.
Can't wait until it gets big. :)
Lois

o

Lois, how many are germinating? I'm being nosy this morning.
Cheers,
Peggy

o

morning Peg,
there were two sprouts. They have really long first leaves. I will go out later and take a pic and post it here if I can remember how to do it.
The tag with all the info is still in the container so that also helped with I.D. along with the unusual seed cover. They are big seeds.

be back later with a pic (hopefully)--I may end up having to send it to your e-mail, but will see later.
Nice and sunny today and supposed to get to 13 or 14 degrees.

Lois

o

busy day today, but got some pics this afternoon. now let's see if I can get them posted. :)
Hopefully you will be able to see the tag that I had in the container when I planted them.

woohoo!! I did it!! :)

o

Lois,
thanks for getting the picture posted. When I clicked on the pictures, a new tab opened to Image Shack and I saw the pictures larger. Sure glad you didn't toss the container. Now it will be interesting to find out how much they grow this summer. Don't forget to put in a shaded, moist area. Shade being extremely important.
How exciting!

Happy Easter,
Peggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here