Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
silvermound

Posted by ctlane (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 8:58

I planted some silvermound(wormwood) last year and really enjoyed them. I just googled it for some more information and read that it should be cut back in the fall which I didn't do. I just looked at it and all that grew last year is dead but is starting to grow new plants and am wondering should I go and cut off all of last years stuff? And do I cut it every fall?

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: silvermound

That's just a recommendation. It's not necessarily the only rule to follow. You can cut off the old dead branches in spring if you prefer. Sometimes, depending on how cold it can get in your area, it's best to leave last year;s growth on the plant which would help to provide insulation during winter. Ianna

o

Thanks for your reply. I'm in Nova Scotia so I guess it won't hurt to leave them to cut until spring seeing as it can get pretty cold in winter.

o

I agree with Ianna - leaving it in the fall will provide insulation during winter. Not sure where in NS you are, but here on the Prospect peninsula, we had barely any snow this year and any help this plant can get is good. In the past I've lost a couple when I've trimmed in the fall, but if trimmed in the spring after the new growth shows, they have all done well.

Some folks trim them in the growing season too. I find it helps to prevent them from flopping to expose the middle.

o

Thanks tiffy. We live in Antigonish Co. and also have had hardly any snow. I guess I will leave it a while longer before I trim off last years stuff as we still get frost at night.

o

Let me tell you something. Snow actually works as insulation for the plants during winter. It keeps the temps steady whenever there's freezes or thaws which are major reasons for why plants can die during winter or in spring. So having very little snow means it's best to provide the plant as much of it's old foliage as possible.

I regularly used to have all the snow dumped on my borderline roses which really helps to keep the plants alive.

Ianna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here